Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Turn - What thinkest thou?

[ QUOTE ]
I considered that, but how often is a very loose (he was very loose right?) player folding top pair in a big pot like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

The OP says he was unknown.

Not very often, probably not enough to make it worth losing possible extra money from the SB's KK or whatever.

-McGee
Old 11-28-2005, 03:58 PM

Ok, mixed MP/bettor up.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I considered that, but how often is a very loose (he was very loose right?) player folding top pair in a big pot like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

To all those in the call camp, is it really worth risking 2 BBs to win 4 BBs with a hand this marginal?

[/ QUOTE ]

No - I would fold after further consideration. I think the micro "you're weak/tight if you fold ever because Ed Miller said so" forum has scarred me for life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, I never fold anymore. I call down because I always have at least an overcard or backdoor draw of some sort. If I make top, bottom, or middle pair with any kind of kicker I have two pair and trip outs, and the pot is always big enough to justify continuing. I used to be a rock, now I'm loose-passive!
Old 11-28-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Results

River came 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I fully plan on calling a bet.

He checks.

I bet, he calls with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
River came 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I fully plan on calling a bet.

He checks.

I bet, he calls with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
On a side note, I think you extracted the most by not raising this turn.

edit: Then again, who knows with this type of player. He may have called a raise and a river bet.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:57 PM

Great job, this is usually a spot where I am content to check it down, but obviously his check presented an opportunity for a value bet, which I usually miss.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:21 PM

well done. Yea, I had a feeling a river check provided a value bet. Just to make sure, did sb call turn bet to see river or just fold?
Old 11-28-2005, 06:56 PM

Is SB one of those who play tight, but can't lay down KK-JJ when an ace flops? He doesn't seem to like his hand very much at this point, yet, he doesn't fold. A big pair is a possibility, or he could be on a flushdraw (would he raise KQs, KJs preflop?)

When SB checks the flop he could be going for a check-raise, but if he had an ace wouldn't it be obvious to bet it? I would call to see what happens.

When the board pairs we have a good chance of chopping with BB (not to mention BB could be semibluffing with a draw), and I would call down and hope SB keeps overcalling. If a big pair is what he has, he is making a mistake, and I want him to make it so I don't raise. Those times he is on a flush draw we should raise, but since raising won't protect our hand against a flushdraw anyway, and since SB's tightness makes a big pair more likely than a draw (or at least that's what I think), I just call.

If it's checked to me on the river, I bet. If a third spade falls and there's a bet in front of me I have to think long and hard.