Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 09-02-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Extracting the Maximum with Trip Aces

A hand I played yesterday... I feel my play has become timid as of late and I'm costing myself value at times. Villian seems a little loose passive, but not horribly so. When he bet into me on the turn, I took a specific line for a specific reason, but I'm not sure it was the right one. I'd be curious to know how other people would handle the situation and what their plans are for the rest of the hand.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 3 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>...
Old 09-02-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Extracting the Maximum with Trip Aces

In this situation I would be inclined to just call, then raise/call the river (or bet if checked to)

Barring any specific reads, I tend to see this quite a bit from someone who is either seeing if their pair of tens is good, or as a complete bluff. In either case, a turn raise will result in a quick release from the villian. If villian had you beat at this point, I think most players would go for the c/r here (with high trips or a full).

Furthermore, on the turn with no apparant draws, this is a way ahead/way behind scenario in which giving a free card really can't do you much harm.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:18 PM

Calling the turn and popping the river has become SOP for me in these situations
Old 09-02-2005, 04:47 PM

I also like the call turn, raise river. Sometimes I raise the turn instead though, so I can set them up for future semi-bluff raises on the turn that might get them to fold.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:54 PM

Ok, I did call the turn and raise the river (and called a 3-bet). Hooray! I just wanted to double check that I wasn't leaving bets on the table by limiting the turn to one bet.