Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 07-31-2005, 10:22 PM

Default KQo 3/6 - Wha\' happened?

I've recently hit the 5k mark at 3/6 SH, and while I'm generally happy with my results, I feel as though I could definitely be playing a lot better, and am frequently finding myself in situations where I am confused.

Anyways, here is the hand, this one confused me a bit when it was all over. Fairly sure I butchered it.

No good read on Button, seems like the typical loose 3/6 player though. Have a few hands on BB, seems a little loose, is quite aggressive preflop, and is also decently aggressive postflop.

Party Poker (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero raises, <font color="#666666">2 folds, </font>Button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.3 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets, Button raises, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.1 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (6.1BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets, Button folds, BB raises, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.1BB

Flop: I'm not sure where I am, button could either have a made hand or is on a draw. Regardless, I call, intending to continue on the turn only if I hit my K or Q.

Turn: I decide to go for the check-raise for value here. If I bet into the button, he will likely only raise hands that beat me, in which case I don't really care whether BB is getting odds to chase. Since I figure any draws are likely calling here regardless with the large pot, I decide to check-raise for value.

River: Not pleased when it gets checked through, I bet the river for value, only to be surprised by a BB check-raise. Not really knowing what he could have, but figuring I've got him at least 10% of the time, I call.

Any comments on the actual play of the hand, or any comments on logical flaws in my thinking are appreciated.

Edit: Original pot size amounts were off.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:37 PM

Default Re: KQo 3/6 - Wha\' happened?

this is a crazy hand. I would of played it the same way..with a bet on the flop, calling the raise then looking for the c/r on the turn. and with the button not betting i would as well be frustrated and bet the river. And be incredibly surprised to see the bb raise me

-sinfu
Old 07-31-2005, 11:27 PM

That flop is far too drawy, I'd donkbet the turn
Old 08-01-2005, 12:01 AM

Bet the turn! He's on a draw a ton of the time, you've got top pair good kicker, etc. etc.

By the way, depending on the opponent, I'm not real wild about your flop call with KQ high. You're out of position and possibly drawing to a dominated pair (e.g. your KQ hits a Q and loses to his AQ, that type of thing). Your Kd and Qd outs are semi dirty. Point being, its a thin call... maybe a good one, but going back to my point above, if you're gonna do this, you need to apply pressure those precious few times you do hit on the turn. You cannot call a bet again on the turn UI with this hand, IMO.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:11 AM

Does anyone else feel there's very little value in a flop bet? Even against only two opponents, it's very likely we don't have the best hand, and our fold equity is probably pretty low on such a draw heavy board.

-Brian
Old 08-01-2005, 04:06 AM

Turn is a must-bet IMO. Way too many draws that button could be free-carding to not think your hand is best. As played, yeah, must call the river though looks like BB has the dreaded hammer. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2005, 05:26 AM

I dont like the turn check-raise at all. The flop is VERY drawy, button often will do the free card play here. Giving a free card on a board like this is a nightmare. So better just bet out on the turn.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:46 AM

I'd probably bet the turn, bet the river, try and get paid by worse pairs or make him pay to draw out. I also think you can fold to an average player's raise on either street. Check-raising the turn doesn't seem like a very good idea on this board. I think betting this flop is image/table dependent.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else feel there's very little value in a flop bet? Even against only two opponents, it's very likely we don't have the best hand, and our fold equity is probably pretty low on such a draw heavy board.

-Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

I do, but what to do when faced whit a bet from button after you check?
Old 08-01-2005, 08:10 AM

Location: Somewhere between the Cask n Flagon and Green Monster

Like many have said, I'd bet the turn. Too likely for button to be on a draw looking for a free card. In hindsight, it looks like button was on draw and BB may have wanted to cr the turn. Do we want to call the turn cr and river bet from BB if we see it?