Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 07:20 PM

Default Two quick questions...raise the bring-in? move up in stakes?

I'm new to stud and have only been playing $.04/$.08 at PS while I learn the game. Just wondering about raising the bring-in with premium hands. Is it worth it in micro limit games to try to knock out loose players or build a large pot since my EV is higher than theirs? Or should I just take a wait and see approach and attack on fifth street? I'm reading Reese's section in SuperSystem but I'm not sure if his approach will work in smaller, looser games.

Second question, I've played a few thousand hands of $.04/$.08 and I'm making about 18BB/100 hands. Does it sound like time to move up a level or two? Or should I just stay where I'm at and pay for my lunches each week? My bankroll is very limited at the moment since I'm a student and I suffered a loss when I moved up too fast in limit HE.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Two quick questions...raise the bring-in? move up in stakes?

First of all, welcome to the forum! Always good to see some new interest in stud.

You should generally raise the bring in with a big pair, becuase it will play better heads up. However, at low and micro limits, you'll find it very hard to knock people out. There's always going to be a few people who will chase flushes and straights etc. to the river.

In my experience, once you start playing the 2/4 and 3/6 game (on PokerStars anyway), you'll see the level of play improve, and you'll be able to employ this strategy more succesfully.

As far as moving up, only you can answer that in terms of bankroll management etc, but I say go for it. You've already got more experience that a lot of the fishes at the 1/2, 2/4 and 3/6 levels.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:10 PM

If you're doing that well at .04/.08, you should be able to move up to the next level and obtain probably at least 10 BBs/100 (next level would be .10/.20 right?).

Like udwa said, skill level doesn't go up for a while, so you're safe now.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:12 AM

At micro I think you just have to bet your good hands, don't get tricky it will just cost you bets.

Starting at micro isn't a bad way to go but I am a big proponent of starting at something like 1/2 or 2/4 if your going to play the game seriously. If you understand the basics of the game and can stand to lose $50 take a shot. If your not comfortable with that then just go up 1 level.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:15 AM

The only factor in moving up until, say, the 2/4 limit is your bankroll restrictions.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:26 AM

Move up to $.10/$.20 and start saving up for 7CSFAP.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:43 AM

Actually 7stfap suggest that you do not raise in very loose games on 3rd street, since everybody's calling anyway, so you are in fact just sweetening the pot. When you bet on later streets you will by not having raised early be giving them worse potodds and therefore they will be more inclined to fold

Good advice, but assuming that you are playing against rational (good) players ...

Since everyone is tagging along anyway for a lot of streets I just push hard ... usually there will be three players at the river, and yes sometimes they suck out on you, but since so many tag along, you are getting a good price (And that is at the 1/2$ level, so do not worry about skill as most here are pointing out)
Old 12-07-2005, 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually 7stfap suggest that you do not raise in very loose games on 3rd street

[/ QUOTE ]
This is just plain false.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:04 AM

I get back to you on that when back home from work ... But do have an recollection of the book stating that I you know that you are getting lots of callers whether you raise or not, you might want to just call the bring in as to keeping the pot small

Perhaps they mean that, when in late position and several have already limped in, then just call instead of completing since you are driving nobody out

Either way, they are not advocating always raising as far as I remember ... but I'll look it up (Unless the discussion in this thread has gone so far as to having resolved the issue [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )
Old 12-07-2005, 06:27 PM

Thats right, Mulit v. HeadsUp chapter says; if it looks like the pot is going to go multiway no matter what you do you should call with your big pairs and such.

But you don't necesarily do that just because the game is loose. If your the first one in or something definately put in a raise unless the people you are against are completely fearless and will call a raise with anything. You have to do what you can to get it heads up with big pairs.