Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Playing Pocket 7\'s from middle position

Here is a hand that I think I could have made more money on, and I'd like some help figuring out how, and analyzing my play Here are my questions:

1) Am I correct to have just called the button raise with 77? I tend to fold with low pairs (5 or less) to a raise, call with middle, and raise with high, is this correct play?

2) I was slightly worried about pocket tens, and possibly but not likely pocket AA held by indian. Is this a realistic worry? My read on him is only 17 hands, VP$IP= 35%, PF raise = 3%, bb/100 = -81

Here is the hand (it's set so you can make it a text file and play it with PT. I can't get the hand converter by bison to convert positions or pot size correctly, can anyone help me with this? or is it the program?):

***** Hand History for Game 3194080835 *****
$2/$4 Texas Hold'em - Tuesday, December 13, 12:08:38 EDT 2005
Table Table 65437 (Real Money)
Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 3: jmel1971 ( $43.75 )
Seat 5: MonkeiC ( $86.87 )
Seat 6: SantaAce ( $71 )
Seat 7: MonkSanuski ( $74.50 )
Seat 8: mrblanco222 ( $182.50 )
Seat 9: ammam ( $113 )
Seat 10: swordncard ( $144 )
Seat 2: CptnNemo ( $109.50 )
Seat 4: indianJ ( $40.28 )
Seat 1: davey10 ( $98 )
MonkSanuski posts small blind [$1].
mrblanco222 posts big blind [$2].
ammam posts big blind + dead [$3].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to CptnNemo [ 7c 7d ]
ammam checks.
davey10 folds.
CptnNemo calls [$2].
indianJ calls [$2].
SantaAce raises [$4].
MonkSanuski calls [$3].
mrblanco222 folds.
ammam folds.
CptnNemo calls [$2].
indianJ calls [$2].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 7h, Ad, Tc ]
MonkSanuski bets [$2].
CptnNemo raises [$4].
swordncard has left the table.
indianJ raises [$6].
SantaAce folds.
MonkSanuski folds.
CptnNemo raises [$4].
indianJ calls [$2].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 5s ]
CptnNemo bets [$4].
indianJ raises [$8].
CptnNemo calls [$4].
** Dealing River ** [ 3h ]
CptnNemo checks.
indianJ bets [$4].
CptnNemo calls [$4].
indianJ shows [ Ah, Ts ] two pairs, aces and tens.
CptnNemo shows [ 7c, 7d ] three of a kind, sevens.
CptnNemo wins $60 from the main pot with three of a kind, sevens.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Playing Pocket 7\'s from middle position

I think you played it fine. Calling down after the turn raise is fine since Villian is essentially unknown. You could've thought about bet/calling the river as an alternate to checking.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:41 PM

Could you explain your reasoning here? I expect AA or TT so seldom that (and a pair of aces/aces up so much) that I do not slow down here.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Could you explain your reasoning here? I expect AA or TT so seldom that (and a pair of aces/aces up so much) that I do not slow down here.
[\quote]

I agree with this. Villian did not raise preflop. He is EXTREMELY unlikely to have AA or TT. I raise and reraise that turn and river expecting to win a large majority of the time here. I may slow down if one of the overcards pairs and villian is still pumping the board, but otherwise I'm continuing to throw bets at this pot.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, my fault for screwing up the quote....

I agree with this. Villian did not raise preflop. He is EXTREMELY unlikely to have AA or TT. I raise and reraise that turn and river expecting to win a large majority of the time here. I may slow down if one of the overcards pairs and villian is still pumping the board, but otherwise I'm continuing to throw bets at this pot.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:55 PM

My reasoning huh? I don't know how to say it better than I got scared when he calls my 4 bet post flop. I get caught in alot of hands like this, it seems in 2/4 where passive players will have something like 10/10 and not raise or three bet preflop, then go nuts on the flop. I don't have a good read on him. Looking back the MOST likely hand is A10. There really is no straight or flush possibility. Thinking that, and seeing his agression after the flop, on the turn I should have kept rerasing, and bet/raise on the river. I was uneasy, and I want to either confirm or deny that I was right in feeling uneasy post flop.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He is EXTREMELY unlikely to have AA or TT.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree. The number of players at 2/4 that are likely to play big PPs slow PF are about equal to the number of players who will play top-pair/2-pair hands as fast as this guy after the flop.

Going 4 bets on the turn is fine. I don't think that slowing down against an unknown who's shown this much aggression is horrible either. I don't see either option making a significant impact.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:57 PM

That's about as good a flop as you're likely to see for your hand. I'm going to war with that hand unless things radically change on the turn or river. If I lose set over set, well, that's going to suck, but I'll pay off.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:08 PM

I don't like just calling with mid PPs preflop. My standard is if there are 2 people who limped ahead of me, I limp and hope to flop a set. If I am >MP+3 I raise. Otherwise I fold <99

IndianJ DOES NOT have AA. Even monkeys raise/rerasie/cap AA preflop. So that leaves TT in which there are 3 combinations. When I have to put a villian on 1 or 3 combinations to be ahead, I threebet the turn. If he caps then I consider TT.

All that being said, I threebet the turn and bet/call the river against an unknown.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:12 PM

Given how rare you'll be up against a bigger set, I think its reasonable to go full speed ahead and happily cap every street. Either way, you will win a huge pot in this situation more times than you'll lose, so its difficult not to play this kind of hand well. Just my 2 cents.