Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 07-19-2005, 12:44 PM

Default How does it feel...

first off, I am kind of new, to your forum and to poker in general. Have been playing low limits on Pokerstars and am still trying to figure out when I played properly and when I got lucky (and unlucky vs bad play). I have about 32 dollars left from my intial deposit of 50 and was up as high as 70.

To keep getting no action on your hands like AKs, AA, AQ, TT etc and just collecting the blinds and maybe 1 - 3 small bets feels horrible, especially if you see others winning pots with 10 BB or more. Anyways, I guess I should start reading the books and stop making all of these stupid mistakes, otherwise this newly found addiction will cost me money and I figure it shouldn't have to.

have to stop running into this though:
Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, MP1 calls $0.10 (All-In), CO calls.

Flop: (16.40 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.1 (All-In)</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (9.40 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 2 all-in)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (11.40 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 2 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 15.40 BB
Old 07-19-2005, 12:47 PM

Default Re: How does it feel...

Welcome to the Forums. I guess, before someone else jumps in, learn about converting your hands so they are easier to read, and you are not posting the names of the other players. Read the micro-limit forum and visit Bison Bison's hand converter.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:49 PM

Buy Small Stakes Hold 'Em, read it, lose some money trying to become the player it wants you to be, pull your hair out, re-read it, lose less money, read it again, wonder how you ever played poker without it and rake in so much money you are rolling around in it like Demi Moore in Indecent Proposal.

This seems to be the consensus. Good luck.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:50 PM

You are so under bankrolled for .25/.50, it is not even funny. Drop a level before you go broke.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Welcome to the Forums. I guess, before someone else jumps in, learn about converting your hands so they are easier to read, and you are not posting the names of the other players. Read the micro-limit forum and visit Bison Bison's hand converter.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks, i updated the post with the hand converter. Figured there should be something like that.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are so under bankrolled for .25/.50, it is not even funny. Drop a level before you go broke.

[/ QUOTE ]
I started playing .25/.50 in stead of .5/.10 because i felt that players at those tables were not really serious.

Apart from the basic education this little fish needs, should I really stick to .5/.10 until my bankroll is sy 150 dollars or so??
Old 07-19-2005, 12:57 PM

hi and welcome.

you should probably not be playing .25/.50 holdem if $50 is the extent of your availible poker bankroll. general consensus is that 300 big bets (in this case $150) is needed to avoid going broke due to bad luck. this assumes winning play, however, so more might be needed.

in any case, why did you raise the river?
Old 07-19-2005, 01:00 PM

Welcome to the forums.

Your sample size is probably pretty small. Those swings aren't that significant, really... well, unless you're playing .01/.02. But I find it hard to believe that any hand isn't getting action at those limits.

Concentrate on making good poker decisions, and ignore the money. It's the only way not to go insane and cause property damage.

As an example, I've won 2 of my last 10 AA hands. But overall I've won about 68% of them. It's just variance... good hands, gooder hands for them (blasted 4-flushers). But if you keep making the right decisions it'll turn in your favor eventually.

KO
Old 07-19-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hi and welcome.

you should probably not be playing .25/.50 holdem if $50 is the extent of your availible poker bankroll. general consensus is that 300 big bets (in this case $150) is needed to avoid going broke due to bad luck. this assumes winning play, however, so more might be needed.

[/ QUOTE ]
see my reply above, should I stick to .05/.10 until i hit 150 or more??
[ QUOTE ]
in any case, why did you raise the river?

[/ QUOTE ]
I know it was stupid, but I make stupid mistakes (still). If I think back to the hand I figured that we were all playing the board and it was also in the back of my mind that you can't or rather shouldn't lose three pots with AA within 90 hands... I see now how dumb iI still am.. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2005, 01:03 PM

why raise the river?