Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Flopping overpair against AK raiser

I have pair of 9's in the small blind. EP raises preflop, Everyone folds except me. 5 SB, flop comes 2 4 7 rainbow. I check, he bets, I....

Here's the question. I know the raiser has something like AK or AQ. I'm certainly going to call. My question is, should I just raise here, see the turn, and if it's another blank, bet then, or should I call here, see the turn, and if it's a blank check raise there?

Pot odds says he should actually call the check raise on the turn with 6 outs given this scenario, whereas he shouldn't call the turn bet if I check raised from teh flop. Or of course, I could just call and then donk bet on purpose to try to make him fold.

So, basic question, what do you guys do when you have an overpair on a low board against an AK raiser?
Old 06-28-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Flopping overpair against AK raiser

How are you so sure that he has AK or AQ? Why not TT, JJ, QQ, KK, AA? You didn't three bet preflop, so I don't think that he's going anywhere to a c/r on the flop. If he does have a high PP, then he three bets you, do you cap to represent a set? Do you fold?
I would have come out betting the flop, call a raise. Lead the turn again on a blank and see what he does.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Flopping overpair against AK raiser

Firstly, how do you know that the EP raiser has AK or AQ (32 possible combinations). He could also have AA - TT (30 possible combinations).

I would bet the flop and then see whether he raises or calls. A lot is also read dependant and whether you consider him to be a loose or tight, passive or agressive player.

For example against a tight agressive player, I would be inclined to call a flop raise and fold to a turn bet unimproved.

Whereas against a loose passive player, I would continue to bet the turn and river if he just called all the way from the flop.

Anyway FWIW if you could magically read his cards and he had AK or AQ, I would have been inclined to check/raise the flop and bet the turn. Attempting to check/raise the turn when you have a strong hand can often lead to missing bets with the hand being checked through.

By the way, welcome to the forums. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]