Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: You raise for the first time in an hour? I cold call!

[ QUOTE ]
That is the one factor I didn't think of -- and it definitely did limit my return when I actually hit my two pair on the flop.

I three bet the raise, because the ep limper was a calling station and I thought the BB would call 3 about as well as 2. In the event, this may have been a mistake as they both folded. Cutoff called and we went to the turn with 9.5BB in the pot.

It came off A93 5 rainbow and he bet right out. Some players are so suspicious. Naturally I....

[/ QUOTE ]
Raise, call a 3-bet, and cap a safe river sounds pretty good from where I'm sitting. The only playable hands we're behind are AA and 99 which are possible but not likely.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Raise, call a 3-bet, and cap a safe river sounds pretty good from where I'm sitting. The only playable hands we're behind are AA and 99 which are possible but not likely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds good
Old 07-06-2005, 01:00 PM

I thought I was likely way ahead here and was actually worried he might fold -- I definitely thought I'd get in only one raise (unless he had AA or 99, of course).

So I smooth called with position and we went to the river with 11.5BB in the pot.

It came down A935 A

Giving me the stone cold nuts. He bet, I raised, he called. He didn't show and I didn't get the hand history, but it sure looks like AK or maybe AQ
Old 07-06-2005, 01:17 PM

nh
Old 07-06-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call or fold. IMO 3-betting sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree.

I definitely don't think this is the easiest fold ever. Hero is getting around 5:1 on the cold call, considering the blinds. On the button, that's pretty good odds.

With every opponent that enters the pot ahead of Hero, the top-pair strentgh of Hero's hand decreases, but the value of the nut flush increases. 3-betting would be a disaster here, becasue we want a multiway pot, not a short pot.

Given all this, I think the decision is between call and fold, and the decision is close. I'd probably fold 3 times for ever time I call in this situation. If there were 4 limpers and then a raise, I'd call very often.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Call or fold. IMO 3-betting sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree.

I definitely don't think this is the easiest fold ever. Hero is getting around 5:1 on the cold call, considering the blinds. On the button, that's pretty good odds.

With every opponent that enters the pot ahead of Hero, the top-pair strentgh of Hero's hand decreases, but the value of the nut flush increases. 3-betting would be a disaster here, becasue we want a multiway pot, not a short pot.

Given all this, I think the decision is between call and fold, and the decision is close. I'd probably fold 3 times for ever time I call in this situation. If there were 4 limpers and then a raise, I'd call very often.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is one of those situations where I switch over to PT real quick and check out what CO has been raising with. Any position aware TAG is going to be raising a wide range of hands here and A9s is certainly playable against a great deal of them. If he's raising hands such as QJs after a lot of limpers (like I would), then I could certainly call two cold here.

Aces over Nines? Didn't I see a movie about this, Teddy KGB?
Old 07-06-2005, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But i'm calling QJs-87s every time here. The A-domination devalues the hand a lot, in my eyes, especially if you can't get away from an A on the flop/turn.

-d
Old 07-06-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But i'm calling QJs-87s every time here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your call, but this is a different sort of situation.

In Hero's case, we are reduced to having just 1 way to win a miltiway pot: with the nut flush. The effectiveness of our top-pair hand is reduced to nearly zero.

In the case of QJs-87s, now we have 2 ways to win a multi-way pot: with a non-nut (but likely good) flush, and also with a straight. This improves the values of these hands to more than A9s in this situation. Our top-pair strength is reduced even more than A9s, but we aren't playing in the sort of pot where we're looking for a top-pair scenario. As you said, we need to be able to jettison our made-top-pair hand.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:50 PM

Why do you assume that top pair has no value?
Old 07-06-2005, 02:04 PM

I would have to agree. We aren't only looking to make the flush here. All those times the CO is raising with KK-TT, our Ace is good.

I'd consider the aggressiveness of the CO, is he going to bet any hand checked to him? If he bets any of those big pairs we can raise the flop (if we hit the ace) and try to limit the field. I think is unlikely he 3 bets the flop unless we're beaten, so it's fairly easy to see where we stand. Considering this and the flush value, I think this is a good call.