Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 10:05 AM

Default when is it correct to call on the button?

I've been thinking about this lately. So far this is what I have came up with:

In the past I would raise KQo or AJo on the button no questions asked. But lets say there are 4 or 5 limpers to you and the blinds are very loose. So we can expect at least 7 people to see the flop.

I think this is a good spot to call rather than raise. My reasoning is as follows:

KQ or AJ are great hands, but offsuit they mainly rely on tpgk to win. With 6 or 7 people in the hand tpgk's chance of winning goes down. So if you raise you are bloating the pot, as most of the time everyone will call the raise as there already in for 1 bet. By bloating the pot you are letting gutshots and other 4 or 5 outers call you correctly. By just calling pf, you now keep the pot a little smaller and have a better chance of protecting your hand, or at least you can make people make mistakes by calling with out the odds.

This maybe common knowledge to some, but I have just lately thought about the reasoning behind it.

Also, if this is the correct play, how good of a hand do you want to raise in this spot, or how low do you go with a call vs a raise.

thoughts?
Old 06-30-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Re: when is it correct to call on the button?

Imo it depends on the range of hands that your opponents are limping with. Versus a bunch of players that play 30%+ of their hands, you have an equity edge that you should push, and I think it's pretty easy.

Versus, say, 2 early position rocks who play 10% of their hands and almost always limp, I'm less happy about raising because they could easily have me dominated if they're routintely limping with stuff like AQo.

But, in general, the fact that your AJo will win less often against loose players in multiway pots is more than made up for by the fact that you will win bigger pots when you do win, so raising preflop with these hands will make you more money. Imo the players you're playing against have to have a certain amount of skill before the concept starts to apply. How much skill they have to have is hotly debated, but in loose microlimit games I think it's pretty much always correct to raise here.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In the past I would raise KQo or AJo on the button no questions asked. But lets say there are 4 or 5 limpers to you and the blinds are very loose. So we can expect at least 7 people to see the flop.

I think this is a good spot to call rather than raise. My reasoning is as follows:

KQ or AJ are great hands, but offsuit they mainly rely on tpgk to win. With 6 or 7 people in the hand tpgk's chance of winning goes down. So if you raise you are bloating the pot, as most of the time everyone will call the raise as there already in for 1 bet. By bloating the pot you are letting gutshots and other 4 or 5 outers call you correctly. By just calling pf, you now keep the pot a little smaller and have a better chance of protecting your hand, or at least you can make people make mistakes by calling with out the odds.

This maybe common knowledge to some, but I have just lately thought about the reasoning behind it.

Also, if this is the correct play, how good of a hand do you want to raise in this spot, or how low do you go with a call vs a raise.

thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your reasoning is flawed, imo.
Basically it comes down to this - if you are in a game with 4-5 limpers preflop, you are in a game where people are playing ridiculously bad hands. AJo and KQo a better hands than what they are playing and will win more than their fair share over time. Thus, we raise to make them put more money in the pot before they get to see whether they luckout and connect with a flop, knowning full well that even though sometimes some jacka[/i]ss will hit 2-pair over the long run we'll win far more than we lose.

Poker isn't always about winning smalls pots and being able protect our hands. It's about winning the most money. We build large pots when we have an edge, and we have an edge preflop with AJo and KQo against 6-7 people. (I know you laready know this...I'm just babbling)
Old 06-30-2005, 10:25 AM

I agree, and I know you have to push your equity edge when you have it.

This is mainly just some thoughts I've had while laying in bed, is it sad that I think about poker before going to bed?

But, just for fun, lets say KJo, is this a call or do you raise it also. What hands do you limp in with on the button if any?

Also, what about raising a hand like JTs in my first example, this hand plays very well against lots of players, so we can build a huge pot for the times we have a great draw (ie. str8 and flush draws).
Old 06-30-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is mainly just some thoughts I've had while laying in bed, is it sad that I think about poker before going to bed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't tell you without knowing what your other options are.

[ QUOTE ]
But, just for fun, lets say KJo, is this a call or do you raise it also. What hands do you limp in with on the button if any?

[/ QUOTE ]

KJo on the button - really depends on the players who are limping in ahead of me. Usually I will limp along with them, though it has been a while since I've been in a game that was 7-handed to the flop. With one or two limpers and tight blinds, I raise KJo in a heartbeat. But, with 4-5 limpers and loose blinds, I see less value in raising.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, what about raising a hand like JTs in my first example, this hand plays very well against lots of players, so we can build a huge pot for the times we have a great draw (ie. str8 and flush draws).

[/ QUOTE ]

After 4-5 limper w/loose blinds I will raise JTs, T9s, and 98s on the button for exactly those reasons. The button gives us a huge positional advantage also, which we haven't mentioned yet.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO
Old 06-30-2005, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What hands do you limp in with on the button if any?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of hands to limp in with on the button. It is all situational, but having the button doesn't mean an automatic raise if you are going to be in the hand. You need to consider your opponents - the limpers and the blinds.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What hands do you limp in with on the button if any?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of hands to limp in with on the button. It is all situational, but having the button doesn't mean an automatic raise if you are going to be in the hand. You need to consider your opponents - the limpers and the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

quoted for emphasis. well said.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

touché
Old 06-30-2005, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

touché

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, got a late start this morning and i'm still sucking down iced coffee like it's free...