Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 03:00 PM

Default What to do on the river?

Table is fairly loose passive, none of the villains are anything special from what I've seen.

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Easy call I think, no use raising.

Flop: (6 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Textbook protection I think.

Turn: (6 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Hmm, not sure what his bet means. He could put me on the free card play, he could've made 2 pair, he could've improved to a flush draw... who knows. Either way, I'm not folding, and with my new flush draw I don't want to raise an d blow out UTG+1, so I call. I figure if UTG+1 is on a flush draw I have more equity than him, and getting him to fold would lose this and open me up to a 3 bet.

River: (9 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, Hero...

The decision. It seems a bit suspicious after the donk bet, so the question is, what do I do.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Re: What to do on the river?

well, loose-passive players wont raise and bet much, so I am assuming that he didnt improve to a flush draw on the turn, he probably wouldnt have bet it. I am putting him on top pair, decent=&gt;good kicker. if you think the ace helped someone, just check it, if you think you have the best hand, bet.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:10 PM

why didn't you raise the turn?

seeing as you didn't bet the turn for fear of KQ, just check the river. he checked for fear of the Ace. if you thought your hand was best, you should have raise the river IMO.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:15 PM

I like your play to the river.

You said that the other players are loose passive, so I would value bet the river as they both checked to you.

I feel that there is a good chance that neither of them has an A, and that they could call with a weaker J, middle or bottom pair, or a smaller pocket pair.

You might get check-raised by a better hand sometimes. But I would imagine that you will gain additional river bets more often.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:25 PM

Check behind and take the free showdown. Are you planning on calling a raise if that happens? I think MP1 has a J, it's just a question of the kicker. He probably incorrectly thought you were pumping your flush draw on the flop. Turn comes, still no heart, so he comes out betting OR he's pumping his flush draw with the turn lead? I'm just taking the free showdown.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:28 PM

I see what you're saying, but I figured that raising
a) Allow MP to 3-bet me with anything that beats me (a donk bet is fairly unusual with nothing, after all)
b) almost certainly blow out UTG+1.

I still thought I had the best hand. If it was heads up, I would certainly 3 bet and probably call down to any more aggression, but I figured that calling would make me the most money with the least risk. What do you think?
Old 06-28-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
b) almost certainly blow out UTG+1.

[/ QUOTE ] i bet you wish you had blown him out now eh [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2005, 03:35 PM

Actually, I bet, both folded and MHIG with no showdown. But apart from the fact that results don't matter, I would like to know if I played this right. Would you guys still raise the turn, or not. Let me hear your thoughts.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:39 PM

IMO, you missed ~3BB by not raising (assuming UTG is on a flush draw- he cold call 2 and MP will call 1). plus he might have called you on the river with Q worse kicker for another BB.