Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 06:00 AM

Default 20/40 some unconventional blind defense - Q9o

Button(69/36/62atsb/1af) and I have played together extensively. We're pals - I sit on his left, and do my best to take his $ with a friendly attitude. He's super-LAG preflop, but settles down a bit post. He pays off A-hi and baby PPs wayyyy too much.
BB (45/13/1) is a bit too loose both pre- and post-flop. Fortunately not too aggressive, I think of him as a place-holder to maximize my time against the button.

Party Poker 20/40 Hold'em (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Surf is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Surf calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Surf bets...</font>

Surf
Old 11-29-2005, 06:02 AM

Default Re: 20/40 some unconventional blind defense - Q9o

No.

-Mike
Old 11-29-2005, 06:04 AM

hahahaah - fair enough. Care to elaborate? fold preflop? fold postflop? stop trying to win every pot? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Surf
Old 11-29-2005, 06:09 AM

Tough preflop situation because of the loose BB. I think fold is ok, and call is ok. I would raise if BB is under 40%vpip probably, but as is your probably not gonna lose him and ur losing your fold equity by inflating the pot. Check fold postflop the board is not ur friend =P

-Mike
Old 11-29-2005, 09:49 AM

omg your flop bet is the grossest thing ive ever seen anybody ever do. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 10:55 AM

Have these opponents ever see you lead bet in this type of situation where you have top pair? Since most people presumably would assume you'd go for a c/r on the flop if you have an Ace, the flop bet doesn't seem particularly convincing to me.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:16 AM

This is a great line against a thinking opponent . . . if you have AK. I have always viewed most donks as a sign of weakness and I would auto-raise this bet with anything. I really don't think you fool anyone with your lead and if you throw in the times that villain is actually raising with an ace, you are toast.

Hell you might get called down by something like 77 on curiosity alone.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:18 AM

"No."
Old 11-29-2005, 11:19 AM

I think preflop is ok, but just check/fold the flop. No need to get fancy vs two loose opponents. You are going to get buttons money by playing normal, not by playing like a total donk yourself.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
omg your flop bet is the grossest thing ive ever seen anybody ever do. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Stop exaggerating. This bet will work a significant amount because sometimes both villains will be caught with hands like Q7 and T9 no diamonds. So it's very far from the worst play in history.

That said, it isn't going to work nearly enough either.

Suggestion: when you feel some spiritual or metagame need to act out in this fashion, wait until you have a diamond or two hearts so that you have an extra chance. There is no justification for taking a shot like this with black cards.