Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-21-2005, 11:42 AM

Default In my prime

Yesterday morning on the sportsradio station I listen to, one of the hosts was being congratulated on his 40th birthday. Conversation ensued about how he didn't feel old, "40 is the new 30," that guys in their twenties really have no idea what's going on and for the most part aren't all that settled or happy. It got me to thinking...

I've often heard the same thing from older friends, though we clearly define our happiness in different ways; indeed, I suppose that's a fundamental part of the transition. The argument seems to center around the idea that at some point in life, a man is young enough to still feel good physically, look good and be attractive to women, but old enough to be secure in himself, professionally and/or financially settled, and generally more self-confident.

When I was 20, I "dated" a woman that was 38; she continually said things like "I wish I could see you when you were 30," and is really the first one to have planted the idea in my head that one's prime could really be anything other than 18-21. So what do you think, OOT? What's your prime? Are you past it? Is it coming up? How do you know you're there? What did you have to do to get there? Answers might differ for single v. married, might be dependent on career choice or some other mitigating factor, so feel free to elaborate on your circumstances.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:57 AM

Default Re: In my prime

this is the type of thing that's different for everyone, a few weeks ago there was a thread about how it's all downhill after college, but for me the opposite was true.

--turnipmonster
Old 12-21-2005, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is the type of thing that's different for everyone, a few weeks ago there was a thread about how it's all downhill after college, but for me the opposite was true.

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]...which is sort of the reason I thought it might make an interesting thread.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:03 PM

I think you hit different primes at different times.

Physical prime - teens or twenties (exception being guys that are slobs but start working out later in life)

Mental prime - twenties (but can be maintained, depending on your job. If it's lively, mentally challenging and stimulating, you'll maintain that prime, I'd say)

Emotional prime - This varies wildly, and really depends on the sort of person you are, who you're with, family, kids etc etc Generally, the older you get, the better it is, up to maybe physical abilities start to fade. Maybe.

'Wisdom' prime - I think this really continues to grow with age, or you just haven't got it at all (there's lotsa older people with none at all, I'm sure)

There's also a prime time where your experience powerfully combines with your job/life, and I'd say that's probably thirties/forties.

This is all off the top of my head, and I reserve the right to contradict myself, and still be understood.

After the quarter-life crisis and before the mid-life crisis.

Chances are, if you are in your prime, you are not spending time thinking about it. You are too busy being in your prime. I think you won't know until it is gone. But it can probably come back again.

I was in my prime physical condition at age 18. Mentally prime would be right now at age 23.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:05 PM

in my prime, I was the best NHL 94 (Sega) player in the world.

yup, the world. I really think so.

I'm fairly certain I'll never be able to make that claim about anything else, so I guess my prime was sophomore year at college.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:15 PM

I am definitely not in my prime now. If you defined my prime as how many girls I got then I would have to say it occured when I was 15-18. I also think it is very likely that I eclipse my past prime when I hit my late 20's because there is a good chance I will be much richer than i am now. I am 25 now.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:16 PM

I know that for me every year for a while now (I'm 29) I've felt I'm in better physical and mental shape than the year before.