Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Caffeine, -EV?

I drink a lot of Mountain Dew, a whole lot. I hasn't seem to have had any affects on my health and I weigh (155) the same as I did in highschool 10 years ago. However I do have problems focusing often and it is hard to get myself to put in enough playing hours. I always assumed it was because I am just lazy but a friend recently suggested that it may be the Mountain Dew and if not the caffeine is still most likely have a negative affect on my decision making ability and game. Any truth to this?
Old 05-31-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Caffeine, -EV?

Also the sugar. If I were you I would stop drinking that stuff because of their mind-blowingly retarded advertisements alone.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:51 PM

Try switching to unsweetened iced tea. It'll make kicking soda easier. It tastes better than water. You still get caffine, but it metabolizes less efficiently and you also don't have all that extra sugar.

If you drink a lot of soda, don't drop it cold. You'll get sick. It isn't fun.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I were you I would stop drinking that stuff because of their mind-blowingly retarded advertisements alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't taste the commercials dude.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Try switching to unsweetened iced tea. It'll make kicking soda easier. It tastes better than water. You still get caffine, but it metabolizes less efficiently and you also don't have all that extra sugar.

If you drink a lot of soda, don't drop it cold. You'll get sick. It isn't fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate the taste of tea and its cousin coffee. I've tried quitting before but it is really tough on me. I get bad headaches and basically as you said feel like crap.

I'm wondering if it would be enough to just cut down from like 5-6 cans a day to like 3.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:27 PM

So far there is no conclusive evidence linking high soda intake to development of diabetes, osteoporosis, cancer, or liver failure...however all four are being studied.

I'd argue that in general it isn't wise to consume that much sugar on a daily basis (the sugar seems like it would be more dangerous than the caffeine). Particularly if you don't eat 3 meals a day, take a multivitamin, or otherwise regulate your caloric intake. (6 cans a day is about 700 calories...or the equivalent of one meal with little nutritional value.)
Old 05-31-2005, 04:45 PM

if youre overweight, drinking that many cans of mountain dew is ridiculous. if you really are addicted to caffeine, and it sounds like you are, you have to go through a withdrawl process just like everything else. caffeine is a drug. people go through withdrawl from such worse things, if you cant handle the withdrawl from caffeine then you need to develop some self-control. mountain dew is terrible for you. drink caffeine free mountain dew if they produce that to start. if they dont, drink some highly concentrated sugar soda that is caffeine free as a replacement.

you talk about how going off this stuff makes you feel terrible, but you will feel much better overall once you are free of caffeine addiction. drinking that much mountain dew isnt helping your body in any way.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if youre overweight, drinking that many cans of mountain dew is ridiculous. if you really are addicted to caffeine, and it sounds like you are, you have to go through a withdrawl process just like everything else. caffeine is a drug. people go through withdrawl from such worse things, if you cant handle the withdrawl from caffeine then you need to develop some self-control. mountain dew is terrible for you. drink caffeine free mountain dew if they produce that to start. if they dont, drink some highly concentrated sugar soda that is caffeine free as a replacement.

you talk about how going off this stuff makes you feel terrible, but you will feel much better overall once you are free of caffeine addiction. drinking that much mountain dew isnt helping your body in any way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post thanks. For the record I am far from being overweight.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:08 PM

Up until about a month ago, I had a 10-12 cans a day Dr Pepper habit. It was very tough to break the caffeine addiction, I felt like crap and had horrible headaches for over a week but I am finding it was well worth it.

I sleep a lot better and feel better during the day because of it. My appetite seems more normal. I am calmer and more focused and don't get stressed at work as easily. It really has been a good change.

I don't play poker anymore, but I can't see that it wouldn't be helpful there, too.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:15 PM

So just quit, cold turkey? I don't know if I could do that.

I've done a 12pack a day in stretches before, it is not a good place to be in.