Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2004, 10:11 AM

Default AJs in CO

This hand post-flop kind of threw me, everyone was so passive I couldn't put anyone on a hand. Did I play it right especially with the turn check and the river raise?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks.

River: (8.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 14.25 BB
Old 08-19-2004, 10:22 AM

Default Re: AJs in CO

I like it. Betting the flop made them check to you, so you can be pretty sure no one has much of a hand (maybe K8 or a smaller pocket pair?).

Rob
Old 08-19-2004, 10:23 AM

Turn check is fine, I would normally just call on the river.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn check is fine, I would normally just call on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Going for an overcall, or because you think your TPGK might not be that great?

Rob
Old 08-19-2004, 10:36 AM

I'm no expert, but I would think there isnt much value in a raise...not many people will call me that I have beat, except the original bettor, who may have me beat and re-raise (although given this action it's not likely). also this way I might get overcalls, an added bonus.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:38 AM

Hmm...maybe I'm starting to move from weak-passive to overaggressive. Need to think about these things.

Thinking about it, I agree with Nottom and DMBfan. An overcall is much better in this situation, even though I think it's likely you have the best hand.

Rob
Old 08-19-2004, 10:40 AM

There is also a good chance that the Ace just gave someone two-pair. I too would just call the river.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm...maybe I'm starting to move from weak-passive to overaggressive. Need to think about these things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do think that I am over aggressive on the river. On a hand I posted yesterday I got the same advice about just calling the river. I will have to watch my river betting a little closer.

By the way you will never guess what MP3 had.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:49 AM

Hi-
I like this.
On the river raise - I think this is pure value against 3 players - you have to be winning this more often than they have aces up. On paper, at least. During play, I probably chicken out and call. Curious for the results..
-t
Old 08-19-2004, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is also a good chance that the Ace just gave someone two-pair. I too would just call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know that I see two pair occasionally on hands like these (A8 was the first one I thought seemed possible), but can you really just assume they're out there? That seems a bit too weak to me; I'd probably be more likely to say there's a chance, but I wouldn't call it a good chance. Semantics, maybe, but it effects how I play the entire hand.

MP3 had A4o and YHIG?

Rob