Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 04:48 PM

Default An object lesson: don\'t fight with your wife.

Linky dinky

Short story: CIA kindaps German citizen and improsons him in Afghanistan for five months. Why? His name sounded familiar. After they figure it out some CIA doofuses want to just drop him off on the street and deny everything.

I can't wait for all of the posts defending this. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Re: An object lesson: don\'t fight with your wife.

Yeah, the CIA wrongfully imprisons people all the time with little evidence and no due process. I don't see how this is news.

EDIT: Whoops, I meant the US gov't in general, although I'm confident that this program goes by the same lax standard of proof as the military.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:17 PM

I used to be proud to be American. Now I'm ashamed.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:27 PM

This is freaking scary.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:16 PM

This is not the mistake of one man, or one unit. This is the result of moral collapse. Moral collapse is the result of leaders who give unclear messages (like trying to avoid a anti-torture bill to be passed). New reports today in British newspaper about repeated US torture. Norwegian soldiers in Iraq reporting that US soldiers behaved towards the civilian population in a meaningless brutal way. Etc. etc.. No clean-up, no change, since it is "necessary".

How long do Americans think it will take before it will spread to cops and judges inside the US as well? How long do Americans think that if they let a president behave like a fascist abroad and thus develop a fascistic apparatus, that they can prevent him or later presidents to use the fascistic apparatus against it owns citizens? How can they be so naïve that they think they are safe?

So much struggle to battle nazism, communism etc. just to let a bunch of Islamist nutheads trick you into a similar mindset and system?
Old 12-04-2005, 11:13 PM

I'm surprised that they didn't just go and kill him once they realized he was innocent and didn't have any information to give them. Now they have a bit of a headache on their hands.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Short story: CIA kindaps German citizen and improsons him in Afghanistan for five months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Elliot,

This guy wasn't kidnapped by the CIA. He was arrested by Macedonian authorities. The Macedonians turned him over to the CIA.

Stu
Old 12-04-2005, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hi Elliot,

This guy wasn't kidnapped by the CIA. He was arrested by Macedonian authorities. The Macedonians turned him over to the CIA.

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. The CIA decided not to wait to see if his story checked out, instead having him blindfolded and brought to the airport. There, persons dressed head-to-toe in black cut off his clothes, changed his blidfold, gave him an enema and drugged him for the flight to Afghanistan. Now, that may not be "kidnapping" to you, but, hey, different strokes, right?

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2005, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The CIA decided not to wait to see if his story checked out, instead having him blindfolded and brought to the airport.

[/ QUOTE ]

During the 23 days the Macedonians were holding him, the CIA debated wether or not to take custody of this guy. Apparently he may have been such a high value target that the CIA decided to take custody of him. You make it sound like they snatched this guy without a thought or care. For all you know the Macedonians were going to cut him loose unless we immeadiately took custody of him and removed him from the country.

If the guy was suspected of being post plastic-surgery Osama Bin Laden and the CIA let him go, you would be criticizing the Bush administration as being incompetent.

Stu
Old 12-05-2005, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
During the 23 days the Macedonians were holding him, the CIA debated wether or not to take custody of this guy. Apparently he may have been such a high value target that the CIA decided to take custody of him. You make it sound like they snatched this guy without a thought or care. For all you know the Macedonians were going to cut him loose unless we immeadiately took custody of him and removed him from the country.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm hmm. I knew I would love the right-wing defenses of this. So he "may have" been a high level operative? Oh, that's different. What did the CIA base that on?

[ QUOTE ]
Masri was held for five months largely because the head of the CIA's Counterterrorist Center's al Qaeda unit "believed he was someone else," one former CIA official said. "She didn't really know. She just had a hunch."

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohhhhhhhh, she had a hunch. I guess that makes it all ok in your book, right? Excellent.

[ QUOTE ]
If the guy was suspected of being post plastic-surgery Osama Bin Laden and the CIA let him go, you would be criticizing the Bush administration as being incompetent.

[/ QUOTE ]

My friend, none of us needs any more proof of the administration's incompetence. It is plain to anyone who is paying attention.