Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-25-2005, 06:08 AM

Default The Biggest Miracle

I'm very uninformed about bible stories so what I am about to write might have some serious flaw of which I am unaware. If so, just ignore this post.

Of the biblical miracles, it seems that there is one that makes all the others almost pale in comparison. Both because of its implications and because it is so far beyond the reach of scientific explanation. If it is true, religion is true. If it isn't, religion is false. And I think almost everyone would agree.

The miracle I have in mind is not the resssurection of Jesus in spite of the impact it had. Because the event itself is not nearly as earth shattering scientifically speaking. Maybe there was a medical explanation. Only a few people saw it. It was a one time thing. Plus only one religion is affected The stopping of the sun fits the scientific criteria but not the giant implication criteria. If it was found to never have happened, religions that believed in it wouldn't face a major setback.

The miracle that most religions can't do without and that science can't, I don't think, begin to explain, is manna pouring out of the sky for forty years to feed the Jews in the desert. Whether this actually happened is the "litmus test" for religion as far as I can see. Am I ignorant of some fact that makes this comment wrong?

PS After writing this post I realized that there is at least one other miracle that should vy for the title. The death of every first born male Egyptian- The tenth plague and the cause of Passover.