Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Common AKo situation where I\'m still not sure

I don't think you will get everyone to fold more than 1 in 20 times. I'd check through a good deal of flops like J87 or Q97 etc and re-evaluate on the turn.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:16 PM

In this particular hand, I can see merit to not betting. But what does it do to your hands like AQ, AJ and TT/99 on that same board, if your opponents know you will check AK there?

I don't think I have an answer off the top of my head, but it does add a dimension to the debate.

A time I like checking is when it could look like I just flopped a monster and am slowplaying, but in fact my hand is weak. Although you give a free card, this makes it easier to get someone with like 77 to fold later (and of course you are the one getting the free card there, but you know what I mean).
Old 09-15-2005, 05:18 PM

How about a middling or lower single value flop, like 777?

You have the nut no-pair, a bet is not likely to fold any pair and might get cr'd by it or another A, and the case card is not likely to be in anyone's hand.

With the EP or MP raiser and cold caller, I don't think we have much of a value bet on this flop. Is the possibilty of clearing out a player or two to protect the no pair worth much here?

--dan
Old 09-15-2005, 05:48 PM

I would always bet this kind of flop.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:57 PM

I'm betting every flop that isnt three to a straight flush that doesnt represent one of my suits. So almost every flop. Your $30 bet on the flop on the button could very well buy you a free look at the river if you dont improve on fourth. If you can three bet pre-flop, you can bet the flop 99% of the time. Don't give the free card, and dont lose control of the pot. Bet the flop. Like I said, unless I have a black AK and the flop comes 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] .....i'm betting.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about a middling or lower single value flop, like 777?

You have the nut no-pair, a bet is not likely to fold any pair and might get cr'd by it or another A, and the case card is not likely to be in anyone's hand.

With the EP or MP raiser and cold caller, I don't think we have much of a value bet on this flop. Is the possibilty of clearing out a player or two to protect the no pair worth much here?

--dan

[/ QUOTE ]

You have the best hand a very high amount of the time on that flop. It's a must bet, you don't want to give any free cards because there's a lot of hands with six outs against you. If you are behind, you usually have 4-5 outs yourself.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:50 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

In the book 'mid limit holdem', the overcard section has some great ideas for this. Well worth the read.

b
Old 09-15-2005, 07:28 PM

Betting every flop is for sure wrong. Q89 needs to be checked. As does any flop w/ one suit that you don't have.

I would take the time and narrow it down, but that would take all the fun out of winging it.

People should be checking many more flops than people have recommended.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:42 PM

I think that playing over cards in pots where the flop misses you is one of the more critical skills in poker that I need to work on. It comes up all the time. I don't always bet, but I do bet a lot more than I check. The one thing that I think is important is that the probability that any given flop has improved you opponents is geometric with the number of opponents while the odds you are getting only increase linearly. It certainly seems that as the number of opponents increase that checking should become the right play more often.

The one thing I know for sure is betting everytime is wrong, but I'd rather bet too much than not enough.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Betting every flop is for sure wrong. Q89 needs to be checked. As does any flop w/ one suit that you don't have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree (always is always a bad thing). Don't agree (but I can see the argument). Agree.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com