Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2005, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Benching your own weight once

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and to those of you who think that because Lance Armstrong's legs are so strong that he can probably dunk: no. It doesn't work that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this part. I would imagine that his explosive leg strength would make him able to dunk. He might not be able to grip the ball easily, and his form might be off (no idea if he's ever played hoops) but I almost guarantee his vertical is plenty enough to dunk.

Swede
Old 09-10-2005, 06:52 PM

palming a ball is a major issue for dunking.

im about 5'11/6' and can do the standard tennis-ball dunk, and on a good day a volleyball.

getting the perfect 'roll-up' with a basketball when you can't palm it is too tough.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and to those of you who think that because Lance Armstrong's legs are so strong that he can probably dunk: no. It doesn't work that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this part. I would imagine that his explosive leg strength would make him able to dunk. He might not be able to grip the ball easily, and his form might be off (no idea if he's ever played hoops) but I almost guarantee his vertical is plenty enough to dunk.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Lance definitely has explosive leg power. He's at his best on the steepest hills, which requires more than just the sheer endurance of a marathon runner covering even ground. It takes very real strength.

It's not doing an olympic squat, but he still has to explode into those pedals. He's got a lean body too, so not that much weight to lift. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he could dunk.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh. now we know, thanks.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with this part. I would imagine that his explosive leg strength would make him able to dunk

[/ QUOTE ]
OK look. When I was lifting, leg strength was by far my biggest strength. I was pressing sets of 1500+ lbs. (I know, I know, leg press machines vary greatly from machine to machine, but trust me, my legs were huge.)

My verticle has always sucked.

It's possible that Lance Armstrong can dunk. I have no idea what percentage of guys his height can dunk, or how much his being in shape helps him. But the kind of leg strength you guys are talking about doesn't have nearly the effect you're talking about.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is absolutely no way Lance Armstrong can dunk a basketball. Percentage wise, almost no one under six feet tall can dunk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 5'10 and i could dunk when i was in high school (barely). Never in a game, but in warmups and messin around. I was never a sprinter/quick-twitch muscle kind of guy either.

I would bet lance could dunk pretty easily. Biking, esp in the hills (which, iirc, is considered one of his strong spots) requires pretty good power in many of the same muscles as required to jump.

--dan
Old 09-13-2005, 11:32 PM

Willie,

I believe your memory may be a little fuzzy. Per the United States Powerlifting Association website the record for a 182 pound man is 518 pounds for one press. I strongly doubt that a guy at your local gym weighed less and pressed 22 pounds more than the record holder. I realize you were just trying to recall but I was curious of the record.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is an interesting thread with some good insight.

To the OP - you need to decide what you want to do - do you want to be really strong or look like you are in great shape(be well built) because the two are not entirely the same.

I am 5' 10'' and weigh 173. I am what's known as a hardgainer(I have trouble getting as big as I want). I am as serious as I can be about training while working full time and bringing up a nine year old with my wife who also works full time.

Currently, I am working toward gaining about 8-9 lbs but in the process I know I will lose some definition, because I am going to have to stop doing as much cardio and focus on eating and recovery. Heck I need to eat 3,000 healthy calories a day to accomplish this.

Right now I have 8.8% body fat and my sets for bench (4 sets 8-10 reps)are at 195. I am into week four of an eight week program and have already lost some definition but I know I am getting stronger, just waiting to see some noticeable size gains.

If you stick with it you should see some huge improvements over the short term, the trick will be to be as determined as you are now when the improvements slow down. Talk to a good trainer and keep at it, you will feel better, have more energy and be healthier. All of which means you will likely play better poker!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care about getting stronger. I just want to look ripped.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:51 AM

my squat has always sucked, but my vert is about 2 ft.

still. I'd put $20 on Armstrong to dunk, given he can palm the ball.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Willie,

I believe your memory may be a little fuzzy. Per the United States Powerlifting Association website the record for a 182 pound man is 518 pounds for one press. I strongly doubt that a guy at your local gym weighed less and pressed 22 pounds more than the record holder. I realize you were just trying to recall but I was curious of the record.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim,

I'm sure it was a "gym lift" where his buddies "spotted" him about about 50% range of motion. Ahhh, good ole golds.