Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Dummy needs help with poker basics!

I have been told I am stupid and know nothing about NL by a top poker pro. He is too busy making money to tell me what basic concepts I am missing.

I believe NL poker is completely situational and your success is dependent on the decisions you make regarding the likelihood of opponents hands in certain situations and how they are likely to react to your check, bet or raise decisions.

Because decisons are made under uncertainty top players can easily disagree on betting decisons given their view of their opponents and their view of how their opponents see them.

These decisons can be honed through lively discussion on boards such as this where both sides can give their thoughts and opinions without fear of personal atacks.

I am a winning $5 $10NL B&M player for the past 2 years of play who would like to improve his game to move to the higher levels. My aggression and player reading capabilities need to improve to reach that next step and I look to this board for help.

I would be most appreciative of any advice or comments anyone may have about any faulty logic you see.

Thank you!
Old 11-18-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Dummy needs help with poker basics!

Post some hands on the small stakes board. Listen to what people say when they respond to you. Improve. That's a good recipe for all of us.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:55 PM

All you need to know.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All you need to know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gawd I hope you are kidding? Only prominent Hold Em book I have yet to read because his DVD was awfull! If you are not kidding I will give it a try. What is his cash game win rate? About as good as Gus Hansen's? LOL
Old 11-18-2005, 04:08 PM

Hah, yeah, I was kidding. Don't read this book, ever.

Just thinking about what his DVD must be like makes me laugh.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All you need to know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gawd I hope you are kidding? Only prominent Hold Em book I have yet to read because his DVD was awfull! If you are not kidding I will give it a try. What is his cash game win rate? About as good as Gus Hansen's? LOL

[/ QUOTE ]he was kidding
Old 11-18-2005, 04:13 PM

You can post 5/10 hands here - other people post a lot smaller stakes and no one says anything.

If you are consistently beating the Commerce 5/10 game, then you are not a bad player.

El Diablo is not a poker pro, and even if he was a dick to you, you should probably just suck it up and forget about it.

Everyone should back off - Just post some hands - It will help your game a lot.

BTW, uderstanding the math in Mason's post means very little in terms of being a winning player - especially if you play live.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he was kidding

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not nice to kid Noob's who are looking for direction! That Hellmuth DVD was the most boring piece of poker infromation I have ever disseminated! Basically play 10-10 through AA, and AK and raise preflop. See you at the final table!
Old 11-18-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can post 5/10 hands here - other people post a lot smaller stakes and no one says anything.

If you are consistently beating the Commerce 5/10 game, then you are not a bad player.

El Diablo is not a poker pro, and even if he was a dick to you, you should probably just suck it up and forget about it.

Everyone should back off - Just post some hands - It will help your game a lot.

BTW, uderstanding the math in Mason's post means very little in terms of being a winning player - especially if you play live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. Ageed and agreed. I think being able to think out a little one or two step decison tree with various probabilities is helpful. But I would not call a $150 preflop reraise at Commerce with AQ, no doubt!
Old 11-18-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would not call a $150 preflop reraise at Commerce with AQ, no doubt!

[/ QUOTE ]

Lmao. Sounds like you're on your way. (Not sarcastic this time)