Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 04:37 PM

Default I feel like I don\'t make enough \"moves\" ....

Something I've been thinking about ...

I currently play 10/20 SH where I've maintained a very respectable winrate over 50,000 hands.

However, sometimes I feel like I don't make enough "moves" ... you know, like bluff-check-raises on the turn and that type of stuff.

I'm torn because I must be doing something right to be a consistent winner at that level. But then I feel this is an area I may need to work on in order to procede to higher stakes. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Anyone else ever get that feeling?

Adam
Old 09-01-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Re: I feel like I don\'t make enough \"moves\" ....

I feel like I make too many moves. Read: I spew.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:40 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I wouldn't actively try to find spots to do these things. usually when a good opportunity arises to do something out of line, you'll know
Old 09-01-2005, 04:45 PM

I used to think that all the time... I'm pretty sure now that most people overestimate the need to make moves though. I wouldn't worry about it. Like sthief said, when you find a good spot for one you'll know, I wouldn't be actively looking for places to get fancy.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:51 PM

I do this about once a session. I have usually played with the Villian before and now he/she is an intelligent player. Then I pick my spots. Most times, it's the re-raise bluff. Example, I raise the SB HU w/ the BB. I have J10s. Flop comes A72 rainbow. It goes bet, raise and I re-raise bluff. These are the times, I think he's saying he's got the A and I have to stress to him that I do. Maybe the pots too small and maybe it's the wrong time, but maybe because the pots small and there are no draws, a thinking player will try the raise once and then let it go. Now am I just asking to spew chips and getting lucky or does this make sense?
Old 09-01-2005, 04:55 PM

True enough.

I suppose the +EV from these types of plays only account for a small fraction of one's winrate anyway.

Further, I was thinking about this a little more....

I suppose one should be very selective in choosing when to make 'moves'. First and foremost, the pot will usually have to be large - as pulling these moves usually requires investing at least 2 bets, and the chances of the move succeeding are usually small.

For example, let's say we assume a 'move' has 20% chance of succeeding, and it will require 2 bets for us to try. Therefore, the pot must be at least 10 bets to even break even ....

Adam
Old 09-01-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, sometimes I feel like I don't make enough "moves" ... you know, like bluff-check-raises on the turn and that type of stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]
Whoever fights monsters(lags) should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster(lag). Nietzsche

Seriously, I don't think bluff check raises are nearly what they are made up to be unless you are up against someone who is particularly weak tight. At 10/20 there aren't that many. In addition to that your own image needs to be solid
Old 09-01-2005, 05:56 PM

I always try stuff like semibluff turn checkraises, and they never ever ever work. Ever. OK, one actually worked for me a few weeks ago, and my jaw dropped open. I was shocked. I don't know why I keep trying them.

So no.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:03 PM

See the way Greenstein advocates check raise semi-bluffing the turn with the flush draw in his book?

I thought to myself, "Not online Barry." But, I mean, that guy knows alot more about poker than me.