Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2004, 02:45 PM

Default Why do you guys play MTTs?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking on MTT'ers but I just can't stomach playing them.

I played in a $24+$2 MTT yesterday placing 12th after a 3 hours. My payout? $48 = $22 net for 3 hours.

I have a huge hole in my game, where I always get in the top 10% after the first few levels (I was chip leader with 3x the chips of #2 around halfway through) but I always lose my stack to people pushing all in. I try to bully people out, but somehow it always comes back to bite me in the ass.

It bothers me that with blinds relative to stacks in the end, it's just a game of all-ins every hand.

*sighs* I hated myself for losing such a huge advantage. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2004, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Why do you guys play MTTs?

Cause when you win one it's the best feeling in the world, and the amount won usually makes up for the small winnings by just creeping into the money.

I am sure there are many out there who are
1. more sucsessful than me, and
2. play at a higher level,

but since last spring I believe I have won 4 MTTs - ranging from 60 to 260 people. My biggest cash was for $1,400 on a $11 entry.

Winning a whole weeks salary in 4 hours is very worthwile.

Coupled with the bust outs, a few back of the money finishes and a few other final tables, I would say it's been well worth my time.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:18 PM

I think I just prefer ring games because the income is more regular (instead of a few ITM and big finishes now and then) and I feel like I have more control in the game.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I just prefer ring games because the income is more regular (instead of a few ITM and big finishes now and then) and I feel like I have more control in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

No Arguement there. I think you will find very few people who play exclusively in MTTs.

My cash game of choice right now is Pot Limit Omaha, and it's very profitble.

I usually mix that up with either SnGs, or an MTT depending on how much time I have to play.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:00 PM

I dont think the most profitable part of anyones game is MTT..just too much chance involved and variance. Ring games are profitable but IMHO sng are the most profitable part of a TAG players game.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:48 PM

Why play MTTs - to win them. The score per buyin/hour/100 hands is superior to anything else when you win one. I only play them when I am on my A game since they are a slugfest to make decent money in.

If you take my stats for Ring-SNG-MTT, you'd see Multis way ahead in EV terms, but with the trademark volatility that comes with them. SNGs are the steady money, and I'm not a big ring game player - this isn't my living and they are less entertaining and marginally less profitable as well.

In the last six MTTs I've played, I've won over $1500 on total buyins under $100. Yes I know I'm running hot, but there's nothing like the feeling of winning [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Each method has its plusses and minuses, and each suits some people more than others - in terms of gameplan and risk-tolerance.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:13 PM

I may be in the minority, but I exclusively play MTT and by virtue of that they must be my most profitable part of poker. I used to play limit omaha, and while that is a steady and consistent way to make money, it is so mechanical and not nearly as engaging as MTT.

Now that i have done fairly well at MTT I could probably play omaha at a higher limit and make as much as playing tournaments, but from what i've heard about moving up in Omaha limits is that the games aren't nearly as soft at 3/6 or 5/10. I think that a player dedicated to MTT can do well, especially if you start with a limited bankroll.

In the past 4 months i've been able to turn 200 into 3000ish, which i don't think would have been possible playing exclusively ring games (maybe for some, but not for me). I might not have a large enough sample size of tournaments (but is such a sample size even possible?) I've played in nearly 90 MTT, won one and made around 10 final tables with probably around a dozen other cashes. For people with more experience, is this unsustainable? I generally play low buy in tournaments the 5+1 on party or the 9+1 qualifiers, now that my bankroll is bigger i've started playing the 20+2s. The competition seems stronger at the end, but not really until then.

So am in the minority or are there any others in the same boat? and I guess more importantly, is my boat going to tip over? Thanks for your Time,

Nathan

by the way...i am SNG impotent, i have a higher cash rate in MTT...not sure why, i've played around a dozen and never cashed so i stopped..
Old 12-10-2004, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My biggest cash was for $1,400 on a $11 entry.

Winning a whole weeks salary in 4 hours is very worthwile.

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt the same way when I placed 4th and won $450 in a tournament last night.

//Need a better paying job.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:48 PM

MTTS are kinda like that girl friend that screws all your buddys and kicks you in the balls, But you love her and shes lots of fun. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2004, 10:39 PM

its fun, cheap and the reward is big if you make the top 3

oh yeah, and in the low buyin tournies, people seem to make a lot of mistakes