Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-21-2005, 03:54 PM

Default AQ UTG, big pot--Last hand of night

hand takes place in a 3-5 live 5-500 spread limit game ($200 max buy-in). villain is button w/ around $1100 and I have him covered. He has just been hammering at pots w/ garbage, swiping blinds and limps w/ $40 raises and showing 84o. He is well aware of position and the quality of his opponents, making big calls against weakies w/ TP-no kicker. He showed a huge laydowns against a good player (AQ on A flop against a c/r in a $150 pot) and complimented himself for 15 mins. He has also folded to several re-raises PF when shown real resistance. And he has shown to be quite buzzed since last call was given. His ride is about to leave so it is his last hand and as he reaches to see his cards, he says "I'm probably I'm gonna raise this one"....

He raises to $30, I make it $90 w/ AQo, assuming that he is to get out of pot, he tanks for a while and makes it $200 flat, I call.

Flop: A79, I check, he bets $300, I raise the maximum ($500)which almost puts him all-in.

All comments welcome.

Thanks, PT
Old 12-21-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Re: AQ UTG, big pot--Last hand of night

Looks solid to me.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:32 PM

i'm interested to hear the results of this. i think you played it fine given his image/last hand/etc., but i hope he didn't get really lucky at the exact wrong time for you and double through. I'm not sure what he calls with that you beat.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:44 PM

Has he reraised much preflop? Ignoring the drunk/last-hand issues, I'd worry a bit about the preflop reraise unless you've seen him do that before with bad cards. Many LAGs will make that first attack but not reraise without very good cards.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:44 PM

Wow! What a crappy, totally unreasonable cap on the buy-in! It doesn't even give you two bets to play with. Where is this game?

Can you clear up the stack sizes and positions in the hand? The title reads AQ UTG, but if he is first to act, you are obviously not UTG.

I also agree that it looks like a good play, but without knowing stack sizes, position it is harder to get a clear picture.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow! What a crappy, totally unreasonable cap on the buy-in! It doesn't even give you two bets to play with. Where is this game?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to agree entirely, but in a room (in WA state)that used to spread on a monday night 3 4-8's only there are now 4 1-200 NL and 2 4-8s so the people like it enough to play it and it brings lots of money to the table. They have a 300-500 game (5-10 blinds) as well that is spread only 4 nights a week.

[ QUOTE ]
Can you clear up the stack sizes and positions in the hand? The title reads AQ UTG, but if he is first to act, you are obviously not UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mentioned them PF, after my flop check raise I had about $700 left and villain had about $600 (a call plus $500). I was in the SB, villain on the button--sorry for the confusion.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Has he reraised much preflop? Ignoring the drunk/last-hand issues, I'd worry a bit about the preflop reraise unless you've seen him do that before with bad cards. Many LAGs will make that first attack but not reraise without very good cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

These issues are why I think the hand is interesting.

I had been moved to this table about an hour before, having won all the chips there. I hadn't played any big pots and it is quite possible that he had me pegged as weak tight. I was, when he re-raised, almost positive that he had a hand as he had either released his hands to a big re-raise or just flat called. When he flat called, he tended to show down hands such as K4s and crap like that.

I thought that there were 3 possibilities when he re-raised:

1. He had a "good" hand (eg. AJ, 99, 66, KQ)
2. He had a premium hand.
3. He wanted to outplay the weak tight guy who seemed to be scared that he would lose his chips if he got involved in a big pot.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:36 PM

pre-flop call is sort of marginal, but if you have a good read that he is doing this with trash a high % of the time its ok

post-flop is automatic with that great flop
Old 12-21-2005, 06:19 PM

Sorry I wasn't sure by how much you covered him. It tends to make people play a little differently post flop when a stack plays back at them that has them covered by 2x or more in a spread game.

Preflop I would rather see a RR to $125 or so. It would make this hand play easier if he pushes to your c/r. As played I think you are good here. Only AA, AK or aces up or a set are calling here that beat you, and KK-JJ are likely to call too.