Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 03:22 AM

Default Anyone like this funky/stupid play with a set?

<font color="green"> Villain is 75/16/1.6 over about 20 hands. </font>

I wasn't really concerned about CO, but was hoping he was on a flush draw too. I felt there was a good chance SB didn't already have the flush, so I decided to get all his money in before the river.

His play is screaming flush by the time he 3-bets the turn, but I figured I had probably 10 clean outs if he does, and it is likely he doesn't, so it's an easy call.

In retrospect, I don't like the flop cap and turn raise. I think it's a calldown if I don't boat up and bet the river if checked to. Thoughts?

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls, SB calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets (All-in)</font>, Hero calls.

River: (13.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 13.50 BB
Old 11-29-2005, 03:27 AM

Default Re: Anyone like this funky/stupid play with a set?

I'm assuming by the tone of your post that SB flopped a flush, but I like the way you played this. SB could be stacking off with a lot of hands, and you want to make CO pay to make his flush IMO.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:37 AM

Once someone gets down to a shortstack, especially someone 75/16 or whatever, I usually give their raises little to no respect. I think you've got to pump your set for all it's worth. You've got a ton of outs for the boat, and CO would be the guy to worry me, not SB who's all in on the turn. He could have any spade with a pair , like 10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or something.

NH.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:53 AM

I have a tendency to make a raise I normally wouldn't just to get a short player all-in. Heads up I probably call this down, but I like the raise to force CO to call 2 cold on the turn with whatever he's got.

The flop I cap all day long. 3 way with a set, the chance your hand is best now plus your draw make this ok. SB's hand smells like a flush, but he's aggressive and could be stacking off, plus you need to charge CO for his draw, so raise away.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:41 PM

I think this is perfect. I think it's more likely you'll see something like T3o than a flopped flush. Very often when these bad players are down to their last couple of bets thy just decide to shove their chips in.

if CO raises on the turn slow down, but bet the river when it pairs. if it doesn't check/call.

nh
Old 11-29-2005, 12:45 PM

you have the best hand on the flop almost always and are ahead of someone drawing to the flush since you have a better hand now and nearly as many outs to a boat. thus, the flop cap is needed w/ 3 players. the turn raise is great because you can force CO and a spade out often (not w/ the A but say he had QT, Qs). It is also the right play because you want SB going all in with 3 spades on the board, not 4 since that devalues you're hand a lot.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:07 PM

Where is the "stupid"?
Old 11-29-2005, 01:39 PM

I think it's played fine considering that villian is almost allin. When people are almost all in, they put their money into the pot easily. You'll see the A/K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], or a high PP.

cheers
Old 11-29-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where is the "stupid"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe there is none. I felt like there was, but apparently everyone agrees that I shouldn't give this guy any credit.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Where is the "stupid"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe there is none. I felt like there was, but apparently everyone agrees that I shouldn't give this guy any credit.

[/ QUOTE ]

No credit. none.