Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Are you winning? Are you ahead?

I live with a few roomates and the computer is in the living room so people are always around when Im playing. And Im always getting asked, are you winning, are you ahead? But its like my friends have a 6th sense for when Im losing, and only ask during these times.

Then I can tell by the look on their face they think I suck because Im down, and Im always down when they ask. Going through this on a regular basis is really starting to irritate me. From now on, Im just going to say Im ahead, becaues Im ahead in a long-term view which is something they dont have.

Does anyone else get angry when asked if they are ahead? Like it matters. Why does it matter if Im ahead right now?
Old 06-23-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Are you winning? Are you ahead?

Figure out how much you're up... Figure out how many hours you've played for... and divide the first one by the second. Then multiply that by the number of hours you've been playing in the session during which they ask... And that's your answer.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Figure out how much you're up... Figure out how many hours you've played for... and divide the first one by the second. Then multiply that by the number of hours you've been playing in the session during which they ask... And that's your answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, so this last session I didnt drop 130, I won 24. To add insult to injury after getting asked if Im ahead, after suffering a long string of drawouts and bad beats, the final hand, right before Im done with the session. I get KK and lose to AA. One of those days, where being asked are you ahead, is less tolerable.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:52 PM

Better yet, just answer for the month, year, or whatever unit of time is certain to give a positive result. Then they'll probably follow up with, "What about today?" but at least you've helped them see why it's an irrelevant question.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:54 PM

Just kick your roommates out of the room while screaming "Mind your own effing business!!".

You can continue your game, they know the answer [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2005, 05:10 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

It's basically just the same line as when people see someone at a lake with a fishing pole in the water. The most common question, 'Are you catching anything?'

If it really bothers you, put the computer in your room. Or buy a computer for your room.

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else get angry when asked if they are ahead? Like it matters. Why does it matter if Im ahead right now?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not at all. They're just asking. Get over it.

b
Old 06-23-2005, 06:36 PM

I usually reply "yes, but it's mostly variance" or "no but it's just variance".

Thankfully, my roommate understands poker.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:31 PM

Tell them your going to have to get a second job to support your poker habit or borrow some cash from friends...then follow up with a question about their financial situation..
Old 06-23-2005, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tell them your going to have to get a second job to support your poker habit or borrow some cash from friends...then follow up with a question about their financial situation..

[/ QUOTE ]

haha nice, i'll try that.

i get slightly annoyed but they are only taking an interest in your game. the worst is when my room-mate tries to council me through a tough beat. I had KK UTG, I raised, UTG+1 3-bet me, got 2 or 3 callers to me, I cap, UTG and the others call...the flop was 226...relatively safe so i bet, the others just call..turn 5...k kinda scary, i bet, a few ppl fold, good ole UTG stays in...river 4...eww gross card, but who plays A3 or 37 in this spot when it's capped preflop? Who would play anything with a deuce in their hand? Am I beat by a full house? Nope...A3o, UTG+1 3-bet preflop with A3o...I threw a fit and my roomie was sitting right behind me watching (something that bothers me and i have told him before) and he says "Wow that guy is good, no wonder why he has the most money at the table." response, "thanks a lot buddy, that REALLY helps!"
Old 06-24-2005, 12:46 AM

I have a friend who has visited me and watched me when I play. I saw that he took pleasure in my bluff's failing etc. Took awhile before I realized that he had tried online poker and lost all the money he deposited and thats why it annoyed him that I am a winning player.