Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 05-14-2004, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Serious Question: Sunglasses advice!

they have felt mouse pads? Where can i get one.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:08 AM

shut up...... no you don't........
Old 05-14-2004, 11:29 AM

Default Only one way to go

Glasses

There is no substitute.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:40 PM

This thread reminds me of my favorite 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' line: "You know who wears sunglasses inside? Blind people and a$$holes."
Old 05-14-2004, 03:45 PM

I often find that guys who wear regular prescription lenses and a baseball cap with the visor pulled over the glasses get a good reflective effect. You can still kind of see their eyes but it makes it much harder to tell what they are looking at. And they get the added bonus of not looking like a punk with sunglasses at the table. Personally I don't have prescription glasses so I usually sport a pair of aviators and look like a punk.
Old 05-14-2004, 06:17 PM

I've been practicing at home. This is me on Party.

(OK, it's actually me trying to look like a cheesedick, but I do wear my perscription sunglasses in tournaments, but it's mostly just so that people take me less seriously.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:02 PM

cheesedick.

Good word.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:45 AM

Don't you Vulcans

You are correct about Vulcans, but Kurn is a Klingon. Oh, well. At least you didn't call me a Romulan.

Sunglasses really don't hide anything important. If he wants to hide involuntary nervousness tells, better to wear a cap with the brim tilted downward to conceal the center of his forehead and a golf shirt with the collar turned up to hide his neck pulse.

I know Chris Ferguson says he likes to be able to look at somebody on the sly. I personally prefer that they *know* I'm looking at them.

Also, if he's looking directly at his opponent to find tells, he's not doing it right.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:07 PM

Just wear what I plan in wearing when I roll into Vegas for my first trip on Monday: white linen suit purhcased for $8 at a thrift store, a bright flowery fake silk shirt also purchased at said thrift store, and huge aviators purchased at local gas station. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] If any 2+2ers see my ridiculous looking self next week be sure to say high.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:16 PM

Hi LargeCents,
I, too, am in the camp that has contempt for those who wear sunglasses while playing. I view them as a crutch that should not be permitted in poker (nor should obscuring your face with hats, hoods, visors, hockey masks, mud masks, paper bags, etc. IMO).
However, I think that most players who come from online poker into the cardrooms would be better off wearing them. This is because these players are very often cornucopias of tells, which will be exploited by a small number of very good readers. Whatever people say about shades, they do make it more difficult to see some common tells, so you may find that your results are better when you wear them.
The problem of hindering your own vision is a common one, and I personally think it's more important to be comfortable and have stamina at the table then it is to hide your eyes, but that's an individual decision. Mirrored sunglasses are probably the best option for fully hiding your eyes, while not dimming your vision that much. Good Luck.