Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Curtains defends his blinds (with bonus comedy hand!)

[ QUOTE ]
I think that people on 2+2 suffer from a "worst case" mindset. What I mean is that it seems some of you believe that 100% of the time when we call this preflop our opponent will bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't believe this. What I do believe is that it will happen quite often, and most of the time when it happens you're going to be folding after putting in ~30% of your stack preflop. If this opponent is poor enough to minraise and check two streets on this rather scary board, don't you think that they are very likely to fold their minraise to a push over the top PF? Notice also that you also ended up with a board where he didn't bet and you were still paralyzed.

EDIT: Also, I just saw this:

[ QUOTE ]

In any case the pot odds Im getting preflop are too good IMO for me to fold to a min raise. I would have folded to a 125 raise however.

[/ QUOTE ]

??? How about 105? I bet that makes a huge difference in the profitability, too. Against many opponents, the minraise is more likely to be a big hand, and as such usually compensate for the miniscule improvement in direct odds you're getting. I really don't think this last bit makes sense.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: bonus hand!

[ QUOTE ]
I know Scrubs too.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but i don't get this dj thing...sounds like what you'd call some degenerate that drinks constantly and squats in your house.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Re: bonus hand!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know Scrubs too.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but i don't get this dj thing...sounds like what you'd call some degenerate that drinks constantly and squats in your house.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's his name.

And..I wouldn't put it past him I don't guess.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:45 PM

I like this play with the flush draw turn, but would you make this play if the turn was a complete blank?
Old 12-21-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think that people on 2+2 suffer from a "worst case" mindset. What I mean is that it seems some of you believe that 100% of the time when we call this preflop our opponent will bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't believe this. What I do believe is that it will happen quite often, and most of the time when it happens you're going to be folding after putting in ~30% of your stack preflop. If this opponent is poor enough to minraise and check two streets on this rather scary board, don't you think that they are very likely to fold their minraise to a push over the top PF? Notice also that you also ended up with a board where he didn't bet and you were still paralyzed.

EDIT: Also, I just saw this:

[ QUOTE ]

In any case the pot odds Im getting preflop are too good IMO for me to fold to a min raise. I would have folded to a 125 raise however.

[/ QUOTE ]

??? How about 105? I bet that makes a huge difference in the profitability, too. Against many opponents, the minraise is more likely to be a big hand, and as such usually compensate for the miniscule improvement in direct odds you're getting. I really don't think this last bit makes sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

gump its my fault, I mistakenly thought I called a 50 chip raise, and was referring to a 75 chip raise. In this case Id probably fold to a 150 chip raise. Also I dont think that a min raise from this opponent meant a likely big hand.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:22 PM

btw my main point in this call is that Im very short stacked and going to have a hard time finding many more +EV spots to come. Getting 3-1 here with a decent hand felt good enough to me. Most of the time if I flop 2nd pair or better, Im fine with getting all my chips in the pot, and sometimes as you see, I don't need to make a hand to win the pot.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like this play with the flush draw turn, but would you make this play if the turn was a complete blank?

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably would check the turn on a blank....

Also this play is very debatable for sure. Folding preflop is fine, by no means am I saying this is an easy call or anything like that.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also this play is very debatable for sure. Folding preflop is fine, by no means am I saying this is an easy call or anything like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

its a fairly easy call against many typical players. it's good to have the database going so you can get a line on how they would play. lots of players min-raise almost any 2 there, some only min-raise QQ. good spot to be a poker player and use the evidence you've seen so far to make a read. i think given full information about opponent type it's an easy decision (fold or call). i'm not sure folding is even fine against a player who is raising a bunch of hands there, there are not many better chances to double up than to get a flop of T73 and your opponent moves all-in or min bets or whatever it is that these guys do.