Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance

Old 12-19-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Re: My losing streak wins!!

Hi Microbob, sorry to hear about you downswing. I experienced something similiar (at NL):

here

I don't know what works for you, but I switched to a different game (6-max limit) and started from scratch, relearing the nuances of the game and gaining confidence. You could probably do something similar at $25NL, if you have even a basic understanding of the game you can beat it. Your opponents are poor and you risk very little. If you're unconfortable playing with a full stack (which is understandable at first), just buy-in for 50BB and get all-in w/ overpairs, TPTK, sets and better. And stay at the table and play with your new big stack.

Good luck.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:17 AM

How about this;

Take the rest of the week off. Don't post any of your own hands. Just reply to as many hands that are posted with your thoughts and see how your advice stands up. Sit down on Friday night alert and refreshed and start it up. Don't look at your stats or cashier box until Monday morning.

Thank god you've got rakeback.

Actually, come to think of it, whenever I'm running bad, (which I feel embarressed to say now after seeing your 1K effort), I go down to the 0.02/0.04 session and play complete maniac poker. bet and raise every damn hand. Put everyone else at the table on tilt. Get them screaming at me in the chatbox. I always feel great after that.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:24 AM

From you're post you sound like you've kind of disregaurded the money won or lost, i guess you play reasonably high stakes?

Do you depend on it as your income or is this just a hobby?

I seriously think you need to take 2 days off, one day isn't enough but 2days will be good.

Just dont play!!!!

If you really can't control the urge, then maybe read a book on poker but when i had a 100BB swing(yeah seems like pennys vs yours i know) but a downswing is a downswing; They affect confidance if its the worst you've experienced (which that was)! My mind litrally clouded up, it felt like i didnt know why i was raising AJs and i didn't know why im betting a flop when i hold Ace Jack High... my mind just clouded up and i felt lost.

I took a break, then i played lower limit game(.10/.20 i think lol) and winning a pot cleared my mind.

It was wierd, thats why i say i suck at the psychological side of the game interms of tilt/varience(ok im crap post flop but anyhow).

Infact it wasn't the cash i won($1 or 2), it was just the fact i could see i won 10BB's!

It takes will power though to leave your pc... specially if you love poker as i assume you must(Love and hate after this swing).

Maybe drop to 2/4 or 3/6 as you say and get back you're feel for the game without the worry of losing big cash.

If 2/4 still feels like a fair bit of cash, play 1/2 and try win 20BB's. Move up to 2/4....

After all, its better to play GOOD POKER at 2/4 than play weaktight poker at 5/10 because of the downswing you're experiencing right?

I think you just need to rebuild you're confidance, you're game will then adjust to your good TAG play(Where you bet JJ even if a ACE HITS vs a MANIAC).

Then re-read a book, be it SSH or TOP or WTO... Whichever. Do the quizzes to confirm you know you're playing well. All this will help with confidance(Although the quizzes are full ring i know)

I really think after regaining that confidance you're natural tendancies(The good TAG play you've played 1000's of hands with) will come together.

Good luck bob, keep us updated!
Old 12-19-2005, 11:32 AM

"Don't post any of your own hands. Just reply to as many hands that are posted with your thoughts and see how your advice stands up."

Actually that's what I had been doing for the past couple of weeks.
I'm changing things up now by actually posting a few of my own hands.

Yours and allin3high's ideas are valid.
I don't think I'm going to stay away for a week though.

I might play total retard .02/.04 however which sounds kind of fun.

I remember doing that back in January on the designated .5/1 table when Bisonbison was playing his 24-hour marathon.
Several of us 2+2'ers there were capping every street.
I caught like crazy and won 180BB's in 110 hands or something ridiculous.
I had a really silly streak where I won 6 or 7 hands in a row (most of them on the river). Good times.

I already mentioned the possibility of heading to full-ring playing super weak-tight...or small stakes Miller NL short-stack system...or tourneys.
Whatever. Lots of possibilities.

My tourney game is +$1000 at Stars this past week thank goodness and I've had a few other good performances in there (11th place out of 240 in back to back weeks in the Party 15k-point tourney awarding a PPM cruise to 1st...among other solid performances).

amazingly I'm not nearly as down about this as you might think.
The worst that can happen is that I would actually have to go out and get a REAL job (GASP...the horrors!!!!).

my GF is still crazy about me...my cat is still cute...I still have my health....etc etc.

It's not the end of the world...No biggie.
I'm just a bad poker-player (these days), that's all.
I'd prefer to be a not-as-bad poker-player so I'm going to take steps to try to make that happen.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:45 AM

Micro, have you been sweated by anyone?

I've read you're posts and "I'm just a bad poker-player (these days), that's all." made me laugh.

Varience man, and the psychological affect.

Drop down 2stakes, Read books after having the break.

You'll be back. You need a break, you need to regain confidance and have someone sweat you on your first few sessions i reckon.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:00 PM

Yeah...all worthwhile ideas as well.

I was playing occasional 10/20 6-max in Aug and Sept (and did pretty well...but then hit a little skid so stepped back).
Dropped down to 5/10. Then to 3/6. Then to 2/4.

Partly for bankroll preservation and partly for confidence rebuilding.

I guess I can just keep dropping levels until I finally start winning again!!

Even though it's stressful now I have every confidence that I will indeed be back.
And it will make quite the story of how this little sucky internet-player got his act together and went on to win some big tourney (or crush the 100/200 games or something like that).
Old 12-19-2005, 12:03 PM

hey if it makes you feel better i suck too
Old 12-19-2005, 12:10 PM

Do you "1kBB" suck?
Old 12-19-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ag-total - 2.5

I'm raising much less these days trying to passivefy my play and keep myself tied to fewer pots:

[/ QUOTE ]

just wanted to point out one key error in your thinking (imo), which is that the point of passive play in limit is to get yourself tied to more pots rather than less. for example, if you're considering either raising or calling on the turn in position: if you raise you give your opponent a chance to 3-bet and force you to fold before the showdown, where if you just call, the two bets that could've been used to raise him, will get you all the way to the end.

i can see where in a low limit full ring game 'passify my play' can mean getting tied to fewer pots in the sense of, "well i could either raise my top pair bad kicker on the flop in this five-way hand and commit majorly to it, or i could play passively so i can get away from the pot easy on the turn if i don't improve." however you said you are playing 6-max games where there is a lot of heads-up action, in which case i think passive play is equated with being in more pots rather than less, postflop.

you may be using the term 'passify' differently than this scenario, but when i run into what i consider large flaws in logical deduction re: limit holdem, in conjunction with a 1000bb downswing post, i wonder if some of the poster's fundamental theories are perhaps flawed. i don't play much shorthanded, but 2.5 aggresion seems a bit high given you haven't been holding many winners.

i think it would help to post hands and respond to hands on the forums, but sometimes particular lines aren't the problem. maybe you should be rethinking your overall gameplan while in the midst of playing, too. as your psychological state seems to be one of your strengths, it seems like your mind should be clear for this type of cerebral investigation.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:20 PM

very nice post.

thanks.