Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 12-17-2005, 01:02 AM

Default my biggest leak (a bit long but I woud REALLY appreiciate feedback)

My biggest leak is I do really stupid [censored]. I can play thousands of hands well and show a profit of hundreds/ thousands of dollars then do something like this.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

MP2 ($171.30)
MP3 ($337.30)
CO ($244.95)
Button ($572.25)
SB ($186.95)
BB ($66.70)
UTG ($200)
Hero ($233.10)
UTG+2 ($194.70)
MP1 ($195.15)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $2, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $6, MP2 calls $6, CO calls $6.

Flop: ($35) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $100</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button calls $539.25 (All-In), Hero calls $125.10 (All-In).

Turn: ($824.35) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: ($824.35) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $824.35

It doesn't seem to matter if I am playing 1 table or 8 tables. Somehow I just shut down for a bit. I was diagnosed with ADHD as a kid, but never took any meds for it. This happens to me a lot in regular life too. I can compose a 10 minute classical work for 10 instruments, or do large math problems or whatever. Whenever I take tests I get the results back and there are ALMOST ALWAYS problems that I get wrong that I KNOW the answers (and knew the answer whren I took the test) to. I often misplace my keys or whatever and stuff like that too. My winrate would seriously double if I didn't do things like this, and my life would be a lot easier too. I do not know how to fix this. Any suggestions?
Old 12-17-2005, 01:36 AM

Default Re: my biggest leak (a bit long but I woud REALLY appreiciate feedback)

why do you enter a pot UTG+1 with 5-4s?
why do you call a 3xBB raise with 5-4s?
why do you raise 50xBB with a non-nut draw?
might as well call the last $125.10.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why do you enter a pot UTG+1 with 5-4s?
why do you call a 3xBB raise with 5-4s?
why do you raise 50xBB with a non-nut draw?
might as well call the last $125.10.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thx for the advice, entering the pot is questionable. I have had good luck with smaller suited connectors lately. I don't think it matters here much if I have the nut draw or not. I doubt he is sitting there with a fullhouse or AKs.

The huge error was the $100 raise. THIS WAS EXTREMELY STUPID.

that put commited me. The main thing is I don't know what I was trying to represent to make this semibluff work the 60 something % it has to to be +EV.

I am not looking for poker advice though. I know with 100% certainty I played this hand like [censored].

I am really looking for a psychological way to prevent the type of absentmindedness that has bothered me my whole life. I am considering drugs for ADHD, but I feel like that would kinda be like a pro athlete taking steroids. I would need more information.

For future responses please don't talk about this as a strategy hand. I am looking for psychological advice here. It bothers me that I can do something so dumb from a strategy point of view when I know better.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am considering drugs for ADHD, but I feel like that would kinda be like a pro athlete taking steroids.

[/ QUOTE ]

???
Old 12-17-2005, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am considering drugs for ADHD, but I feel like that would kinda be like a pro athlete taking steroids.

[/ QUOTE ]

???

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I don't know if they are healthy for you or not. Also if it wasn't for poker I probably wouldn't take the drugs, since I have lived for awhile without them.

I heard they stunt your growth or whatever, I am 21 and 6'0" so I doubt I am going to grow more anyway. I am going to ask a Doctor about this but does anyone have experience with riddilin or other ADD drugs.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:20 AM

FWIW, I play for a living and of course I always try to play well, but still make plays like that every now and then and no one ever diagnosed me with ADHD.

I book those plays as blackouts, tilt or whatever and usually make sure I stay at the same table. Even if it accomplishes nothing else, it does wonders for your image.

Tonight I bluffed away 2 stacks on stonecold river bluffs (in likely bad spots), but got the money (and some more) back later, as I almost always got paid off.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:30 AM

Default Re: my biggest leak (a bit long but I woud REALLY appreiciate feedback

Try playing shorter sessions, if you experiment you will likely find an optimally-efficient session length.

Also experiment with the optimal interval of time (break length) between sessions.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whenever I take tests I get the results back and there are ALMOST ALWAYS problems that I get wrong that I KNOW the answers (and knew the answer when I took the test) to. I often misplace my keys or whatever and stuff like that too. My winrate would seriously double if I didn't do things like this, and my life would be a lot easier too. I do not know how to fix this. Any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, actually... Cognitive behavioral therapy with a psychologist. You would basically work specifically on this issue, and on establishing patterns (forced habitual checklists) for every decision-making event at the table.

I had a lot of problem with this same issue in chess... I could focus and play near national-master level for almost an hour, and then relax my focus, become distracted by something outside (or even inside) the game and then proceed to hang a bishop in a very OBVIOUS and embarrassing way.

Also similar to your experience, I find that I get silly questions wrong on standardized tests and I have to develop similar techniques in order to achieve my best scores. I am currently doing this for the logic puzzles on the LSAT.

... Without this kind of meta-preparation for my head, I inevitably mar an otherwise exemplary score with silly errors due to mental laziness, bad logical habits, and the distraction of minutiae.

Sounds to me like you may be in the same boat. It isn't quite ADD, but many of the assets that stem from a busy and eclectic mind are also deficiencies that lead to sporadic attention being given to many things at once.

I often pick up and juggle ten tasks at a time, and accomplish all of them in tandem micro-spurts.. I can keep track of them all, and they all get done with good results, but to observe me in my house or in my old job as an IT manager would be very strange to someone not privy to my thoughts.. This kind of behavior is valuable in some circumstances, and less so in others.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:21 PM

I know that some drugs for neurological/chemical issues can have some rough side effects. There are a large class of drugs that do a great job of treating what they are supposed to, but sometimes the side effects are more difficult to deal with than the initial problem.

If you've gotten this far in your life even after being diagnosed, you can probably overcome this as well, but it may be good to check with a dr. Liberalis' suggestion of some therapy is good. I was always sceptical of psychotherapy, until I underwent some. Now I'm of the opinion that we could probably all use some at some time or another.

Focus issues are a problem for many of us these days; we are inundated and bombarded with so many different things and so much inforamtion each day. We're encouraged to multi-task(and multi table).

I suffer from the same thing some times. I've done a couple of things that seem to help. One would be some meditation or just quiet time occasionally. Work on clearing your mind and relaxing it from all the peripheral thoughts. Another thing would be to do only one thing and focus exclusively on that for a period of time - kind of a zen-like "meditation in practice."

If you are strongly against medication, but find that you need something, try some of the herbals on the market. I have a friend who swears by gingko.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:41 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
For future responses please don't talk about this as a strategy hand. I am looking for psychological advice here. It bothers me that I can do something so dumb from a strategy point of view when I know better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Knowledge of strategy can help you psychologically. They are intertwined. Especially when:

[ QUOTE ]
I have had good luck with smaller suited connectors lately.

[/ QUOTE ]

is your reason for entering the pot.

[ QUOTE ]
The main thing is I don't know what I was trying to represent to make this semibluff work

[/ QUOTE ]

Trips.

[ QUOTE ]
I am really looking for a psychological way to prevent the type of absentmindedness that has bothered me my whole life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Learn more about the game. That will affect you psychologically in a positive way. There just isn't a magic pill or word to help you on this one.

b