Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Big draw with awkward stack sizes

5/10 6-handed. I have been stacked once or twice already at this table. UTG folds, two callers, I make it 50 on the button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and 1150 behind. Unknown SB calls with 725 behind, BB folds, TAG UTG+1 with 1600 behind calls, very aggressive CO calls with 1050 behind.

Four to the flop of Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and 200 in the pot.

SB checks, UTG+1 bets 160, CO folds. I have 1100 left, UTG covers. What's my move?
Old 12-11-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Big draw with awkward stack sizes

push
Old 12-11-2005, 04:11 PM

push is the easy solution

is it the best solution? does UTG+1 habitually lead weak or with total monster? can you get paid off easily by these players?

you probably have huge implied odds with the T, or perhaps might even statistically have a huge fav type of hand

i usually push but i often wonder how much im missing playing it this way, especially with the 100+bb stack
Old 12-11-2005, 04:18 PM

If you've been stacked a couple times it seems like they're going to have no fear and your push is going to have little fold equity. But with two draws to the nuts you're still a favorite vs. many hands on this flop.

A push is fine, a call is also fine; since they'll have no fear they're likely to call you on the turn after you hit.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:30 PM

Pushing seems to indicate a strong flush draw (either nut flush draw or oesf draw). If you had flopped a set/two pair, would you just push here? I doubt that.

Make a 2/3 pot-sized raise. If he pushes, then you have a decision to make about whether or not you want to gamble. If he simply calls, you have position on any turn and can easily check behind if you don't improve.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pushing seems to indicate a strong flush draw (either nut flush draw or oesf draw). If you had flopped a set/two pair, would you just push here? I doubt that.

Make a 2/3 pot-sized raise. If he pushes, then you have a decision to make about whether or not you want to gamble. If he simply calls, you have position on any turn and can easily check behind if you don't improve.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

fwiw, these stack sizes are shallow enough that i can comment with some level of experience, and i think pushing is correct here. the value of your hand goes down significantly on a whiffed turn, yet at the same time i dont think you can (or necessarily want to) "get away" on the turn. theres no raise other than a push, so just push.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:30 PM

If I raise and he pushes over the top, there's no decision to make.

Since I'm running bad, I pushed and he called with 44. My flush made his boat [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I used to never bet more than the pot, and now I'm experimenting with overbets. This is also my worst stretch of hands so far. Coincidence? Maybe.