Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 10:06 PM

Default AQs Capped OOP

What's my plan on the turn and river here?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG <font color="green">(25/20/2/40)</font> raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button <font color="green">(54/42.6/2.25/43)</font> 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, Button checks.

River: (7.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 7.75 BB
Old 12-10-2005, 10:19 PM

Default Re: AQs Capped OOP

weighing either checking or betting the turn, and getting raised sure sucks, so I think your line is fine.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:23 PM

Fold to a turn bet. You don't have the odds to draw, especially with the board paired, and the flush draw. You don't want to have to pay a turn bet and a river bet. Given that the turn got chekced through, I think you can call a river bet, as long as you arn't overcalling.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:23 PM

What's the plan if someone bets the river after we check?
Old 12-10-2005, 10:33 PM

This was a weird hand huh? Turn I probably check as well. The lag could raise who knows what. However if you had bet the turn, UTG woulda folded and you woulda taken it down =P
As for river action I would check, fold to a bet from UTG and call a bet if it comes from the button.

-Mike
Old 12-10-2005, 10:35 PM

UTG looks to be either on a draw (weak or strong, possibly a broadway gutshot like AT or a "5-out" hand like JTs) or a hand that's waiting for the turn to try and protect.

He's TAG, but can he fold? You put him in a bit of a squeeze play by betting the turn...if you've got a K or an overpair his 5-out draw is now a 2-out draw and he may fold a J, worried about getting raised by the LAG behind. Additionally if he was peeling with an underpair(not that it's right) he would probably fold as well. Folding a gutshot gives us some more safe cards as well when we are ahead.

The lag would have likely raised the flop with an AF that high with a K and many J, sometimes even PPs. I'm not particularly worried about his hand range unless he's sandbagging a monster.

Given that, I bet the turn. TAG knows you're firing on the flop with everything from 99 to AQ to AA, so a turn bet is more representative of strength and may improve our chances of winning the pot. A raise from either one gives us a safe river fold UI.

It's worth it to invest the extra bet IMO. If the LAG and TAGs positions were switched it wouldn't be as worth it, since the TAG would be closing the action and thus we will be hard-pressed to improve our equity with a bet.

Surf

Ah yeah. Given the way you played it i'd consider calling a river bet, but not overcalling.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:39 PM

Looks well played to me. I would call a turn bet from either player. Don't see why anyone would fold. I'd call a river bet from button but not UTG.