Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-09-2005, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Common situation - how do you guys handle this?

[ QUOTE ]
Clarification - you strongly suspect kings, but don't know for sure. Sorry for the bad wording. There is enough uncertainty to carry on past third.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion this is not enough reason to call on third, and I think this is one of the most critical mistakes most players online make. You "lose" one small bet if you fold third but probably on average lose 3 or 4 times that when you proceed with the hand.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:23 AM

I'm inclined to agree here. The reraise is a pretty strong indicator. But if he'd do this with a three flush, str8 or small buried pair than you'd have a call. It's a tough spot, and most of us peel one off on the cheap street (fourth) and fold fifth unimproved. When I make two pair on fourth, I'm inclined to call down and toss in a bet if checked to on fifth or sixth.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:41 PM

FYI, if a queen raises in front of me and I have a king up I will reraise probably about 75% of the time with any hand that I intend to play. Unless you know a player well, I won't be folding big pairs to just 1 reraise on 3rd (when heads up), even with a very low ante.

As for what to do with 2 pairs on 4th, I usually wait till 6th to raise if they don't make an open 2 pair. This allows them to keep semi-bluffing if they don't have the kings, and saves you money when they do have the kings and end up making Ks up by 6th. Note that if your board is starting to look scary on 4th or 5th (flush/str8 cards) I might raise sooner because that increases the chnace that they will check you you on 6th if you catch another scary card.

Regards,
Carlos
Old 12-09-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FYI, if a queen raises in front of me and I have a king up I will reraise probably about 75% of the time with any hand that I intend to play. Unless you know a player well, I won't be folding big pairs to just 1 reraise on 3rd (when heads up), even with a very low ante.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course if this is the situation you would be making a mistake folding the queens. When there are aggressive tricky players you have to adjust accordingly. But the fact is that in most of the games we play in we are against opponents who normally play straightforward and raise almost always with a bigger pair. And the reason we know this is because people always call them down to see that bigger pair.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lets say you complete the BI with 7 Q Q. You get raised by a king and . . . believe he has kings.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fold.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:21 PM

The correct way to play this hand is to wait untill 6th street to raise. The point is if he makes an open pair, or some other really strong board you'll be happy you didn't put in the extra money earlier. But if 6th street comes clean you should raise and bet the river.

If you really think your opponent has kings you should fold immediately.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:50 PM

yes its the same concept as if your know your opponent has a big buried pair only your judgement cant be nearly as precise as when his hand is a buried pair since you wont know for sure if he paired his kicker or not. i still wait till 6th since i will only get one raise prob. and i can fold if he makes an open pair before that. if he reraises on 6th however im in a pickle as he prob paired his hole card (or much worse) but ill cross that bridge when i come to it.
matty
Old 12-10-2005, 12:52 AM

I would prefer to raise 6th than 5th,other factors being equal.But another thing to consider is that a lot of players will check 6th if they haven't improved.So, against these guys,you have to get your raise in on 5th.