Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 10:06 AM

Default Common situation - how do you guys handle this?

Lets say you complete the BI with 7 Q Q. You get raised by a king and you end up heads up. You call, and believe he has kings. On fourth you catch a 7 and villain bets into you. What do you do on fourth and on subsequent streets if villain's board shows no improvement?

How about when you catch your seven on fifth or sixth. What do you do then? In both cases, villain's board shows no improvement.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Common situation - how do you guys handle this?

Why would you call on third if you believe he has kings?
Old 12-09-2005, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you call on third if you believe he has kings?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you fold everytime you get lelaised by a higher upcard?
Old 12-09-2005, 10:41 AM

C'mon Beer ... Istream clearly states, that he believes villian has kings .. and not that there a chance, that villian has kings .. So I'd go with Blumpkin on this one
Old 12-09-2005, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you fold everytime you get lelaised by a higher upcard?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well this is why stud isn't an easy game. If you have no overcard kicker it's normally best to fold. And if you keep getting lelaised you can take stand when you think they are lelaising light. But in the online games people almost always have it when they lelaise (but not nearly as much when they only complete initially). Moreover, the people they are laising seem to always call on third, even more reason to suspect that they do actually have it.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:47 AM

Yeah, what Blumpkin said. Fold 3rd.

Lets say you call though - say because his suit is live and he reraises with 3-flushes or because you were in a steal position etc. and catch that 7.
I rarely raise 4th here. One exception would be against a maniac who you are well ahead of most of the time but who will also 3-bet 4th and/or bet out again on 5th (so I can get in the maximum amount of raises).
Usually though, you should raise 5th I think. You might get him to fold if your lucky, or get more money in the pot with the (hopefully) best hand at least.
If you think there’s a good chance he actually has kings or if his board is getting scary you might want to wait till 6th to raise though. This avoids stuff like this: You raise 5th, he calls. On 6th, he catches a 3rd suited card (matching his door) and checks. Now what do you do?

So it all depends on how much fold equity you have on 5th, how far ahead you figure to be of his range and the boards.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:50 AM

Well, I think lstream means he puts villain on a likely pair of kings... But is not 100% sure,, cause clearly lstream would fold if he knew villain had kings.. Maybe 75% of the time, he's got the goods, 20% he's got (X X) K, and 5% he's playing a 3 flush like me, blumpkin or Nappori.

Being that you're a likely underdog, but not completely dominated, how do you proceed?
Old 12-09-2005, 10:53 AM

Roland, I have to go do some work, but what are the chances your opponent improves to two pair or trips by the river, if he starts with (YX)Y and is showing no improvement on his board?
Old 12-09-2005, 10:55 AM

If you're sure he has kings, then you fold. but assuming you played on, then it is probably usually better to wait until 5 or 6th until raising if you are confident he has the higher pair. Remember, that your raise is not going to chase the higher pair out, so since the raise will not have that power, you want to be sure that you are indeed raising with the better hand. wiaiting until 5 or 6th allows you to see if he gets a pair on board. without that pair on board, you two pair is likely best and your raise now will get your more than if you raised on 4th. waiting till 6th gives you the opportunity to see how his hand plays out.

however, if you doubt that he has the higher pair, i might go ahead then and reraise on 4th trying to get him off of his hand right then, not giving him future drawing chances. I know others would still slowplay here trying to extract more money, but you are paying for that by continuing to let him draw cards which can beat you.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:11 AM

Clarification - you strongly suspect kings, but don't know for sure. Sorry for the bad wording. There is enough uncertainty to carry on past third.