Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Should I finish college? (long)

I'd finish school mostly for the reasons Josh pointed out. If you want to be lazier and have more time to play drop AcSci.

One thing that hasn't been said yet is that it's harder than you think to just start up a business, especially if you intend it to be passive income. Here's the problem with that, you basically have resigned to bringing nothing to the table besides capital. As a 21 year old, or even a 31 year old, you will not have the most capital around and as a high school graduate without full time employment you will likely have a much harder time borrowing funds than someone with your income level "should". I'm not saying you won't be able to, just that banks will require you to jump through hoops and likely keep way more cash on hand than makes any sense from an opportunity cost perspective.

Enough on fiannce though, that's not really the point. There are lots of benefits to having a degree beyond getting a better "9-5 job". Since you are so close to being dont and your parents are willing to pay I really think you should finish.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:55 AM

You need two semesters of college (both 12 credit semesters too) in order to graduate from NYU with a finance degree that your parents are willing to pay for and you're even considering not doing it?? Seems like you're a real driven guy.

Finish school, you already put in three years.

Good luck,
Matt

PS Since your posts lacks stats/info about the stakes you play no one here will be able to tell you if you're even good enough to be a poker pro. However I will warn you that GoT's goal (from some old post) for the year was 400K in poker and poker related income for this year. I think it's highly known and accepted that he's definitely one of the most skilled players/biggest earners on these forums. My point, I think your estimate of 600K is waaaaaay too optimistic to rely on.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:56 AM

With all due respect, many of the things you say are incredibly naive. A degree from a highly respected institution is valuable in many, many ways that you obviously haven't considered: Employability, credit, credibility in whatever field you wind up in, etc., etc.

More concretely, if you're so sure that you can make $600k/yr in 1500 hours of play (I won't comment on how unlikely that is over an extended period of time -- oh wait, I think I just did) and that any increase in skill of other players will be offset by your advance in limits, then it would be insanity not to play 15 hours/week, make $300k/yr, get your degree, and then -- in only 12 months for god's sake -- play full time after that. And, of course, if you're not so sure then your entire plan goes out the window.

As "gifted" as you may be, any decision other than getting your degree would be a monumental lapse of judgment.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:25 AM

College is the easiest funnest thing you will do in your life.

Don't cut it short.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:52 AM

You want tangible benefits listed, but of course you know that the tangible benefit is that a degree is money in the bank in the employment world. But you aren't ever going to work a 9-5er so you cut that right out. That leaves the intangibles.

But I think you ought to consider for a moment, that at age (what 21 or so) you've got sixty years of living in which your life can take improbable and unforseen turns, twist, bumps and reversals. A college degree is a huge hedge against the unexepected, and two semesters...well c'mon that's not the worlds most difficult task.

As far as intangibles. There may come a time when you are running with a bunch of college educated people, either through work, because you start your own business or some other context entirely. Believe you me, its not fun in those situations to be the guy who couldn't hack college.

Ever plan on having kids? What are you gonna say when your offspring comes to you with some really ridiculous plan (not something cool like playing poker for a living) that involves them dropping out of college and throwing away their future (not to mention the money you've paid for their first few years) and you object, what's you're come back when they say, "Ah, c'mon dad...you dropped out of college to play poker!!!"

And if you can't find at least a few courses that stimulate and engage you, then either you aren't trying very hard or you a very sad person.

And among the other cool things about college (including open keg parties six nights a week in my case), it is also one of the most stimulating, interesting, engaging environments you are likely to be in ever again in your life. Which is a little sad statement about what society post college is like, but nevertheless true.

Or as one of my friends would say, "Don't be a schmuck, quit your whinning and finish what you started."

--Zetack
Old 12-08-2005, 10:52 AM

IMO, no one who is already a senior in college could be making enough money to justify dropping out. You're less than a year away from having a solid backup plan for the rest of you're life. If you were a freshman (winces) this would be a much more difficult decision.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:09 AM

personally i think youre an idiot. ONE YEAR. omg. finish up. you dont have to get a job when youre done, get a degree and play poker if you want. easiest decision ever.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The overwhelming response from friends and family has been to finish college.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is because they are right.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a senior at Stern (NYU's undergrad business school). I have a little under 2 semester's worth of classes to take before I can receive my degree.

[/ QUOTE ]
You would be a fool to quit.

[ QUOTE ]
If I decide to finish, my parents will pay the tuition.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yet another great reason to get your degree.

This decision is not even remotely close. Finish school and get your degree. Poker will still be around 2 semesters from now, and if it isn't then you'll be even happier you got your degree.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the basic speech everyone has given me but it doesn't really help me. Regardless of how "pot committed" I am, or the fact that it's a great school, there would have to be some sort of tangible benefit that is GREATER than the additional income/freedom/ability to travel to tournies/etc. that I would gain from not having class.

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly you want an excuse/justification to quit. just do it mang. [censored], if poker dries up there's always sucking dick for coke.

on a more serious note, if you're not enjoying college enough to want to go through your last year of it, then I'm sorry.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:04 PM

Hey, I'm an NYU senior. I just took level 1 actuary exam. I say you finish out school then after you graduate study for actuary exams and play poker. It will give you something else to focus on while playing and a back up plan in case you wake up and decide 52 cards just seems boring.

If you drop out you will regret it for the rest of your life. You may think "oh my grades aren't that good" blah blah blah, but honestly man, you are going to a great school and just getting a degree will help you down the road.

Graduate.

EDIT:
And FWIW I work 20 hours a week and play poker for about 10-15. + get wasted and am lazy and I will graduate. so, take my 20 hours at an office and boom, you're making 600k a year.

It sounds to me like you just don't go to class. I think if you go to class you will be fine. Also, it sounds like you just don't want to study for finals, which are in about a week. Just suck it up for like, a week. We all know 1 semester = 1 all nighter. So get away from the internet for a night and read.