Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-08-2005, 02:06 AM

Default Calling with King high?

edit: 77 left in a party 20+2. 150 paid.

I think this call is really close. 6 outs gives me 24% equity or so, and I'm getting 2 to 1 on the call, plus the king high might be good? The one thing is that when a small stack min raises like that on the button, I tend to think monster b/c normally he'd just push, but he seems to be begging for action.

Not too many reads on the table or this villian. Table was made not too long ago.

What would you do? Comments on PF and postflop play appreciated. On the flop villian has about 3100 left, which is about the size of the pot.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1500 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Hero (t13202)
UTG (t22889)
UTG+1 (t32273)
MP1 (t33812)
MP2 (t25158)
MP3 (t19465)
CO (t20173)
Button (t6192)
SB (t49462)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
[color=#666666]6 folds</font>, [color=#CC3333]Button raises to t3000</font>, [color=#666666]1 fold</font>, Hero...

flop comes 357r.

hero...
Old 12-08-2005, 02:18 AM

Default Re: Calling with King high?

Well, if you thought like you said...that he was probably begging for action...then why did you call?...you said you were getting 2:1 odds and you thought you might have a 25% chance?...i'm folding PF...after his raise...there's no way all his chips arent getting in the middle...i c/f flop
Old 12-08-2005, 02:26 AM

It's something I only really thought of later after making the call, that he might be begging for action. Generally I think I need to call there b/c I'm getting such a good price for that flop.

Even though I'm getting slightly less than the pot odds, I still have to consider the future of my tournament. I'm playing for first, so I think I need to gamble. Also, the high card might be good...
Old 12-08-2005, 02:40 AM

Stop and go looks good here.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:59 AM

I am deeply and intensely confused by short stack's minraise PF. Unfortunately, he probably didn't get this far without realizing that once he's in this hand, he's in it to the end. In all likelihood, you're not moving him off this one (and I don't think that was ever really your intent).

That being said, I don't think your K is good. It's remotely possible he has KJ/T, QJ/T, or JT, but I'd be more worried about any A, especially A-rag, and low pocket pairs.... or, of course, the slowplayed monster. I check, cry a little inside, and fold to his inevitable push.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:00 AM

Most of his possible hands have you dominated pretty good.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am deeply and intensely confused by short stack's minraise PF. Unfortunately, he probably didn't get this far without realizing that once he's in this hand, he's in it to the end. In all likelihood, you're not moving him off this one (and I don't think that was ever really your intent).

That being said, I don't think your K is good. It's remotely possible he has KJ/T, QJ/T, or JT, but I'd be more worried about any A, especially A-rag, and low pocket pairs.... or, of course, the slowplayed monster. I check, cry a little inside, and fold to his inevitable push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I basically felt obligated to call PF, it was all about the post flop situation really.

I *knew* he had a monster with that min raise. Whenever a shorty min raises like that instead of pushing (which conventional logic says he should push) it usually is a monster.

I called villian's push, he had kings, and my hand is no good. Just gotta keep it in mind for next time.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:22 PM

In that case, remind me to open min raise your big blind from the button with 4x BBs with 72o instead of pushing. I'm always looking to increase folding equity.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In that case, remind me to open min raise your big blind from the button with 4x BBs with 72o instead of pushing. I'm always looking to increase folding equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doing that assumes that you're willing to call a push/get your push called. I think players that do this are basically conceeding that they're willing to let the other player see 5 cards in exchange for the action. He would still have to call if an ace flopped.

So it wouldn't work with 72...

Ansky you avoided answering the question, sort of. Would you call his push (I know you said you'd push yourself).
Old 12-08-2005, 03:38 PM

Tiny stacks do this alot with solid hands. They would hate to just take down the blinds with their monster. If you haven't seen him min raise before, then you fold.

If you've seen him min raise once or twice before, then stop and go is your play since he's gauranteed to call a reraise pf.