Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 06:23 PM

Default need help with sirius radio purchase

i gotta get one for my step dad for my mom (meaning i am getting for her to give to him). while i am at it, i figured i should get one for myself. anyways, what do i need to buy? i suppose the best thing to do is get a unit that is good for the car and the home. do these need to be installed etc.....? what about subscriptions, do they come in different shapes and sizes? im sure he wants the NFL thing etc....

tia
Old 12-01-2005, 06:27 PM

Default Re: need help with sirius radio purchase

gotta buy the receiver and then the car kit. Subscription are anywhere from 13 per month..or 144 once a year..240 2 years or even 500 for a lifetime membership. If you want to listen to it in your home or office you need to buy a boombox separately or different thing to hook up to your home entertainment center. The NFL is just a few of their channels..
Old 12-01-2005, 06:31 PM

I got a unit called the Starmate Replay. Theres a $50 rebate on it (should still be going on) so it comes out to be about $80 or so. It has a magnetic antenna and a lighter socket plug in wire, and the head unit. I like it a lot, as it is like DVR and records up to a certain amount of music. Also, because it is self-install (and very easy to do, at that) you can just unplug it and bring it inside if you buy the $30 home kit.

On the other hand, you could get it professionally installed and just login to the Sirius website when at home- they let you listen to all the channels online for free when you register for service.

I chose the ghetto install because the interior of my car is very unique and I don't trust them to pull it apart/put it back together correctly. I basically velcroed it in a good place so that I can see it while driving, and also hide it in the console when parked.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got a unit called the Starmate Replay. Theres a $50 rebate on it (should still be going on) so it comes out to be about $80 or so. It has a magnetic antenna and a lighter socket plug in wire, and the head unit. I like it a lot, as it is like DVR and records up to a certain amount of music. Also, because it is self-install (and very easy to do, at that) you can just unplug it and bring it inside if you buy the $30 home kit.

On the other hand, you could get it professionally installed and just login to the Sirius website when at home- they let you listen to all the channels online for free when you register for service.

I chose the ghetto install because the interior of my car is very unique and I don't trust them to pull it apart/put it back together correctly. I basically velcroed it in a good place so that I can see it while driving, and also hide it in the console when parked.

[/ QUOTE ]

no stupid antennas on roof of car right?
Old 12-01-2005, 06:43 PM

It's very low profile, a small (1 inch x 1 inch) flat black magnetic thing. It comes with a kit to hide the wire, but I just stuck it on the lid of my trunk and shoved the wire inside. You'd never know it was there unless you were looking right at it and I pointed it out. (Although my car is black.) I'd post a pic but I don't have a digicam.

Go check it out when you go to buy the other one. They have a lot of different options now. Link below to details of this unit.

Starmate Replay