Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-23-2005, 03:16 AM

Default Playing open trips too fast?

$100 NL 6max, playing 5 handed at the moment

I have ~110ish, Villain covers. Villain is decent, somewhat TAGish. I don't have too good of a read on him, but he probably is a winning player.

Folded to Villain on the Cutoff, he makes it $4, I call on the button with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Flop comes J-J-3 rainbow (~9ish in pot.)

He bets $7, I make it $25, he hesitates and calls.

Turn comes T of hearts, putting two hearts out there. ~60ish in the pot. He checks, and I push for ~$80 more.

Comments?
Old 11-23-2005, 03:19 AM

Default Re: Playing open trips too fast?

i love your play, disguises your hand pretty well. Has donks thinking.. whos going to play a J that way and insta-call you with A high [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img][hopefully]. I think it's fine.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:19 AM

why so fast
Old 11-23-2005, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why so fast

[/ QUOTE ]
I was trying to sell him on the idea that I was bluffing. I did consider checking the turn but I think that lets him off easy if he has a pocket pair.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:34 AM

It's fine. You don't have much left behind you here so what are your other options? 3/4 pot and dump the rest on the river? Might as well push.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:22 PM

Default Results

Anyways, I guess this hand wasn't that interesting, which has been kind of a trend with my posts lately [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]. He had QJ, ran his timer down and called. Given how long he took to call, I think he probably folds AA or KK there, but maybe not. Unfortunately the river was a T and we chopped.

Thanks for the posts guys.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:02 PM

You can't think he's drawing so I'm betting $30 on the turn. You are going all the way with this hand so try to suck the most you can out of 77-TT, QQ-AA.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:06 PM

Interesting idea el grande. That looks an awful lot like a value bet though, right? Remember, he's a good player.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:26 PM

Value bets really happen on the river. In order for a turn bet to be a value bet, you have to have a monster, right? I don't usually put players on monsters with great certainty. I can't assume he'll be thinking I'm making a value bet with a card to come.

I think you may be right that a big bet looks like a bluff, but I'd have to know the player very well to think they would see it that way.

I just think it's much more common that you will encounter a player who will call you down with a PP when faced with smaller turn and river bets.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just think it's much more common that you will encounter a player who will call you down with a PP when faced with smaller turn and river bets.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, I think that you'll get maximum value from smaller bets, and the backdoor flush is something that doesn't usually merit much worry when you're heads up (though obviously it would be wrong to give a free card.)