Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 01:38 AM

Default The ups and downs of being a poker prop...

Not sure if this goes in this forum, but considering that I play nothing but shorthanded I think it will work.

I've seen a lot of posts recently about propping since party split and it seems players are looking for alternatives to the standard "r" word deals.

I'd like to maybe use this as a reference for people that are asking about internet propping in general. Plus I'd like to add some questions about super-shorthanded and heads up at the end, any comments or suggestions welcome.

Rules for being a prop
1. We dont discuss flight clu...I mean...our employer.
Seriously NO prop will discuss who he or she works for. Don't PM me...I won't.

2. Props start tables. You can make decent money from just playing 7-8 handed tables, but props usually cannot sit at a full table or wait on a waiting list, and must leave once the table fills. The rule of thumb is though, the less people at the tables = more money for you.

(Mods I hope this next section is OK)
3. Props get paid by a rake share program usually. This basically means that for every dealt hand...yes dealt... you get X% of the total rake... This is an awesome deal, I wont ge into specific %'s or annything, for the mods sake and that every site is different. But needless ot say, even low limit, part time 2/4 players like me make a ton of cash (something like 4-5BB/100 if heads up or really shorthanded, 2-4 players). Contact a reputable site for specifics, for again, I cannot discus them here.

3. Your table selection ass belongs to me.
You dont choose your tables. You either sit and wait to play heads up or find a 3-4 player game to join. As most prop sites boast less than 4000 total free and real money players at once, you can see how freakin impossible it is to find numerous tables of your limit and without too may players. Plus, foget about juicy games...you get what you get. If a great game suddenly fills up...you have to leave. No questions, no waiting till the blind...you just have to getup immediately. Most sites at least let you finish the hand you're on.

4. Beware higher limit props.
High limit, long term props are some of the best players out there. Period. they can play any game, and style, heads up, ultra-short. low-limit, high-limit, whatever. The fact is, if you arent a decent player, you CANT beat these games. playing shorter and shorter tables increases varience immensley. You will go broke if you are still learning to beat the party micro-limit games, and these players play this everyday for a profit, or at least beak even, and have the bankrolls to back it up.

5. Varience is a BIOTCH. End of story. 1000BB bankroll will be a requirement.

All in all my early stages of propping have been very lucrative and has helped my shortanded game immensely.

I would like to see if anyone else plays very short or heads up games and see what kinds of hand requirements you guys are opening with. Im especially interested in any good heads-up articles anyone can refer me to.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:07 PM

Default Re: The ups and downs of being a poker prop...

bump.....for value.