Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 09:08 AM

Default Re: 10/20 Pocket Nines. Fun hand, decisions on all streets.

Preflop......perfect.
Flop......I think a c/r is a better play.
Turn.....perfect.
River....good finish to your line....but I would have checked my opponents river aggression factor to make sure he wasnt a p*ssy before I did.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
On this particular river, I can see how a check raise can work often enough, but on most rivers, I don't know if you can count on it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I shouldn't have made it sound like I was going to checkraise most river because that really wasn't the case. I wasn't thinking about that when I bet the turn, but when I saw what card slid off on the river, it was obvious what play I needed to make.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are saying you bet most rivers. That goes against what you said earlier that

[ QUOTE ]
I can go for the check-raise on the river and make up the bet I missed by not check-raising the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

I still like the turn check raise.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:05 PM

It's waaaaaaay better to bet the turn than try to checkraise it. I think if he just calls the turn you can checkraise almost any river, and with this particular one it's a super good checkraise to make.

Betting the turn is better than checking it because he might check behind, or he might let you bet-3bet it. After the PF and flop action it's obvious UTG has an overpair, so if he only calls the turn I feel very confident a river c/r will work with any card but an ace, so that means you're missing no value by not trying to c/r the turn, while still giving yourself the possibility of gaining more bets (via turn bet3bet). Plus if he has QJ there (almost 0% but mb the guy was a maniac and you have forgotten) the way you've played the turn and river still maximizes against that hand (checking rvr allows him to bluff at it).
Old 11-19-2005, 12:08 PM

I dislike the flop. C/r'ing is much better.

I prefer c/ring the turn. But I can see betting an aggro opponent.

Preflop and the river (given the way you played it the earlier streets) were fine.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:10 PM

Eh, I like this now. Betting the turn looks good IF you plan on c/r'ing any non-ace river.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's waaaaaaay better to bet the turn than try to checkraise it. I think if he just calls the turn you can checkraise almost any river, and with this particular one it's a super good checkraise to make.

Betting the turn is better than checking it because he might check behind, or he might let you bet-3bet it. After the PF and flop action it's obvious UTG has an overpair, so if he only calls the turn I feel very confident a river c/r will work with any card but an ace, so that means you're missing no value by not trying to c/r the turn, while still giving yourself the possibility of gaining more bets (via turn bet3bet). Plus if he has QJ there (almost 0% but mb the guy was a maniac and you have forgotten) the way you've played the turn and river still maximizes against that hand (checking rvr allows him to bluff at it).

[/ QUOTE ]

You say he almost always has a PP, but that he might check the turn? I don't think so. The bet-3bet is a good thing to bring up, but I would imagine that he does this only 25% of the time with JJ and QQ, and maybe 50% of the time with KK, and 70% of the time with AA. If he just calls your turn bet, you say you will almost always make it up by check raising the river, but I don't think this is always the case. There are 12 combos of AT he could have that may chicken out and check, there are a few JJ or QQ that might chicken out also. I agree that most of the time a river check raise works, but I think there are times when betting the turn and checking the river might only get us 1 BB. Then again, there are the times it gets us 4 BB when we can 3-bet.

Check raising the turn, on the other hand, gets us a solid 3 BB almost always.

I don't think this is as easy as you make it sound.