Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 04:13 AM

Default Re: Not enough talk about Paul Phillips

well, how about an irresponsible stereotype that will get me banned from ever posting on Paul's blog ever again [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

IT (information technology) types are notorious for being egomaniacs who will easily pack up their ball and go home if they perceive a slight against them. Paul Phillips is an IT type person.

Having said that, one must treat the geeks with caution, not to offend them too badly or make them feel unloved or unappreciated -

I sorta got to the point where I knew a Paul Phillips post was gonna be a criticism of someone - I'm struggling to remember a post that gave out good poker strategy or discussion - he has them on his blog, but he wasn't too sharing on here.

Hence all the overreacting on the part of both parties - but I doubt now that peace will be made....

and I doubt I care.

RB
Old 11-18-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How did he get this reputaion as a great poker player anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think being a great poker player had something to do with it.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it comes more from guys that make comments like yours who THINK he is a GREAT player. Instead of the sarcasm why not explain why he is a great player and just how you have come to that conclusion.

Vince
Old 11-18-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it comes more from guys that make comments like yours who THINK he is a GREAT player. Instead of the sarcasm why not explain why he is a great player and just how you have come to that conclusion.

Vince

[/ QUOTE ]

Go and read his blog. He has some interesting things to say about interesting hands. Sure, most of the time he's screwing around and not talking about a hand, but if you look at the entries where he does discuss hands, you'll see what I mean.

I also want to add that I'm in the minorty of posters on this board who care about the WPT, other players, things like this. I care about my game, how I'm playing, and talk to friends about their game. I don't watch the WPT regularly, don't really care much. I read pros blogs form time to time, but that's it.

However, from what I've seen and read on Paul's blog, on those occasions I read it, Paul Phillips is a very, very intelligent guy and a great player. I've also read other players about him, and, yeah, they say he's a hell of a player. Daniel Negreanu called him one of the most underrated players there is. Perhaps you find Daniel credible? So, yeah, overall, I have no reason to say he's a great player other than his results and the words of other generally admired players. But no personal experience, of course.

Anyway, this is silly. I really don't care if you don't like Paul Phillips and I really don't care if he's banned from 2+2 or not. He didn't post or contribute anything anyways so it doesn't matter at all. *But* to the people like you Lepore who don't see the funny in his "hitler youth" comment EVEN AFTER ITS BEEN [censored] SPOONFED TO YOU, well, that's your loss. On this list of things in this world that pass you by, I don't think Paul Phillips should be much of a priority.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How did he get this reputaion as a great poker player anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this has something to do with it.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:17 PM

I was wondering who would be the first to send the hendom mob stats. lol. You know what the hendon stats dont calculate? How many he actually played. All these guys that have accomplishments on the hendom mob lists are guys that play tons of big tournies. Frankly was it that good? besides his wpt champoinship he won (because he hit a 6 outer on the river against gus hansen otherwise 3rd) the stats arent that impressive for as many tournies as he plays. But these are the tings people dont think about. They just see the money finishes. They dont see the million buy ins he used to get these average numbers.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering who would be the first to send the hendom mob stats. lol. You know what the hendon stats dont calculate? How many he actually played. All these guys that have accomplishments on the hendom mob lists are guys that play tons of big tournies. Frankly was it that good? besides his wpt champoinship he won (because he hit a 6 outer on the river against gus hansen otherwise 3rd) the stats arent that impressive for as many tournies as he plays. But these are the tings people dont think about. They just see the money finishes. They dont see the million buy ins he used to get these average numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, a six outer on the river, that's cute. The money went in preflop, AQ vs TT.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:55 PM

Yes it did. But he was goping out 3rd til he hit a 6 outer on river.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Frankly was it that good? besides his wpt champoinship he won (because he hit a 6 outer on the river against gus hansen otherwise 3rd) the stats arent that impressive for as many tournies as he plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

And Hendon Mob is incomplete. He's made 10 WPT and WSOP final tables, plus a final table at Turning Stone during their big live tourney, in the last four years. There are very few players with better records in the same span.

Of course Gus Hanson and other WPT winners (like Mel Judah) have never outdrawn anyone while winning their titles. LOL!