Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 07:04 PM

Default River bet - value or spewing?

I have been trying to extract more value on the river, but this one felt a little on the edge to me. Villain had just arrived, but I had the sense he was playing too many hands.

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls

4th Street - (5.80 SB)

Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (3.90 BB)

Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises

6th Street - (7.90 BB)

Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

River - (9.90 BB)

Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___calls

Total pot: (11.90 BB)
Old 11-13-2005, 07:19 PM

Default Re: River bet - value or spewing?

Looks fine to me - two pair looks the most likely hand on fifth, so you should be ahead more often than not. I might well end up check/calling, but I miss too many bets when he checks behind with two small pair.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:23 PM

I may be wrong, but I would bet 6th & keep him on the guess rather than showing the weakness. As it is, I would definately bet the river to keep him from checking behind & would feel ok about calling a raise. He will not expect you to have this good of a hand after your 6th st. check.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:28 PM

Looks fine to me.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:59 PM

Spewing? Whats plan B, check and call? Ugh.

Bet
Old 11-14-2005, 06:01 AM

Looks good to me. I’d say he has either a big buried pair or small two pairs on 5th, most likely. Since you can’t be sure what he’ll do with two small pairs (and because he might have you crushed of course) risking 2-1 on a check-raise attempt doesn’t look that attractive.

I’m not sure I like 3rd though. What did you think seat 2 completed with? You probably knew something I don’t know though, given that he folded. Against an opponent with reasonable standards I kinda like a fold here though.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:41 AM

Nice hand. Surprised the other guy folded on third. I like the hand, but think you walked right into a raise on fifth.

The river is played perfectly imo. If he hit aces up, he's probably not raising.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

think you walked right into a raise on fifth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?
Old 11-14-2005, 09:01 AM

Looks good. The river was played perfectly here by you, Stream. Far too many people check-raise or check-call rather than betting right out like they should. I will admit however that I fold third myself and that I think its right to do so. Keep in mind that two live overcards loom large behind you and there is a raise already to you. How would you like it if that Ace or Queen made it $15 on you? Now its kinda hard to fold isnt it? Its not like you completed to $5 and they made it $10 letting you muck without thought.......Glad it turned out well but just fold third next time.

Mike Emery
Old 11-14-2005, 09:08 AM

Yeah I agree with Mike, you have to fold 3rd here, not only might you get re-raised by an overcard behind you, but the original raiser probably has you beat too. This is a really expensive mistake to make. The rest looks ok though.