Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-13-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Addicted to Civ IV

[ QUOTE ]
I'd destroyed everyone except for the English. It would have taken me at least eternity to finish them off.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP (if it's a realistic simulation, obviously)
Old 11-13-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Age of Empires 3.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-13-2005, 06:47 PM

the epic games are poorly synced right now, I suggest sticking to normal or going to civfanatics and helping them test the best way to mod it.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was kind of a weird game last night, btw...There were two continents, one which was much bigger than the other. The game stuck all 6 civs on the same continent, and nobody on the other one. The other one was too far away to sail to until you'd discovered the right techs to do so. I finally sent a ship over to the other continent in about 1700AD or so, and figured that it would be full of other civs' cities. However, none of the other civs had built cities there...it was totally empty except for a few large barbarian cities. It was kind of neat...sort of like discovering "the new world".

[/ QUOTE ]

You played the "terra" style map. If you play the "continents" style map you'll see other undiscovered civs on that second continent.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You played the "terra" style map. If you play the "continents" style map you'll see other undiscovered civs on that second continent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Right after I'd made my post I went to play the game and noticed the description for the "Terra" maps. I quite like that style of game. If you can develop your techs that lead to navigation quickly, you can have a whole continent to yourself for awhile.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:53 PM

It's my nature to get obsessed with anything I even halfway like. Civ 4 is definitely one that can keep me up literally all night. That said, I think the game has too much detail for the actual fun level. This is similar to what happens in some RTS's and MMORPG's, where micromanagement substitutes for anything fun sometimes. This game can keep you so busy you don't really notice that it's not as exciting as it seems to check over your city tiles or something. It's just...busy.

I'm getting Earth 2160 next week, an RTS. The graphics look astounding, and the franchise has been around and refining its gameplay for a good while now. I think I might wind up playing it more than Civ 4, especially if there's a good multiplayer to it. That's where RTS games really exist, in multiplayer.

But right now, I've played almost 9 hours of [card game] straight and I think I'm actually going to fire up a Civ game to relax.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:58 PM

Wow after reading so much about this game on here, I finally got it(I had never played a Civ game before. Totally. Awesome.

Wow, this game is so great.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:20 PM

I've spent the last month or so addicted to Civ III (after having rediscovered the franchise having not played it since Civ I) so I'm trying to not buy Civ IV for a while.

Its got to the point where my parents are encouraging me to play p*ker to prevent me from playing Civ III!
Old 11-13-2005, 10:32 PM

LOL it has definitely made my poker less haphazard. Now I'm doing longer sessions instead of hits here and there during the day, because I know if I decide to play Civ 4 "just a little," I'm done for the day on doing anything else at all. Like except for eating and going to the bathroom.