Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-11-2005, 07:42 AM

Default Addicted to Civ IV

Have during the last few nights stayed up till 3am, 2am and last night 4am playing this stupid game, I suspect I amy fall asleep at work later but feeling relatively refreshed. Keep sitting there thinking just one more turn.

Does anyone play the faster game how long do they last? What about online games how long do they take?

Whats worse is I suck at it anyway have no real goals or strategy and having read the civfanatics site realise how little I know about the stupid game.

Havent been so addicted to a game since the early Championship managers. But I am seriously thinking I should delete this form my system and trade it in for somthing else (Fifa 2006 or Call of Duty 2).
Old 11-11-2005, 07:49 AM

Default Re: Addicted to Civ IV

I bought it - I haven't installed it yet -

I spent most of the last 3 years playing Civ 3 and writing the slashdot.com review for it, so I'm nervous to see what Civ 4 will look like cause I know it makes fundmental changes. As did 3 for 2 and Civ 2 for the orignal civ -

So I'm hoping for the best - Only reason I haven't installed it yet is because for some reason, ever since I got the Xbox it's been distracting me from Computer games, but I will get it installed - I got it bought, I'll get it installed - [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

RB
Old 11-11-2005, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Keep sitting there thinking just one more turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a name for that: JOMTS

(Just One More Turn Syndrome)
Old 11-11-2005, 09:34 AM

whiskey, did you ever play Alpha Centauri? Ran the civII engine, but you could modify units. Real "OMG the sun's coming up" game.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:35 AM

I am scared to buy this game.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:48 AM

I stink at it too. The civfanatics site also reminds me how much people know about it that I don't. It did give me the occasional good idea, though, like rushing early by making a beeline for ironworking and chopping forests to help speed production. My last two games I conquered my two nearest neighbors, whereas before I was having trouble with them and sometimes got multiple civs declaring war on me at once when I was just being Mr. Nice Guy and minding my own business. However, last game it got me so far behind in research that I lost the space race. I shouldn't have kept every city, I guess.

I'll try the fast games soon, too, I think. But right now I want to get at least a little non-sucky at regular games.

One thing I do note about the game: it's the most boring game to read strategies about that I've ever had. There are so many details that, once mastered, don't really make the game more interesting. They're just more info to put on the checklist of things you know and need to know, which seem never-ending. The civ fanatics site is full of great ideas that it's half torture to read about.

I think the problem is the game is more broad than it is deep. I don't feel like more study of it is making it much deeper or more interesting as a game, so the study feels unrewarding. When I've read strategy on other games, I feel like it has been intriguing and stimulating. Civ 4 doesn't feel all that mentally stimulating, just consuming because there's so much to do and keep track of. Being consumed by something can be kind of fun, but ultimately it feels a little like a hollow experience in this case, because the game doesn't seem to be that deep, just very very busy.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:38 AM

never got into it - played the demo - don't know why it didn't appeal to me -

I also tried civilization/call to power - it was some way they were able to rip off Sid's creation cause of licensing via the name rights. - It sucked too -

RB
Old 11-13-2005, 09:45 AM

I've uninstalled it a 3am followed by a 4am has convinced me its not good for me. My GF was a bit shocked said "but you like that game", its getting traded when I get home next week.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:52 AM

Call of Duty 2 is friggin sweet. Even if you don't swap games, I highly recommend it. I don't even like war games really but this game is simply really fun. Get it.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:04 AM

Age of Empires 3.