Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Two TT Hands (Am I a donkey?)

$215 online tourney. 1k plus entries. We are in the money, but just barely.

1. Ten handed, just moved to table. Blinds 400-800 folded to third position who pushes with 6572. Folded to me in the SB holding 12,000. My move? Just moved to table and no big reads. FWIW, dude with 6572 went on to win and I went on to casual alcohol use.

2. Nine handed, blinds 750-1500. I hold tens in the BB with 11.1k. UTG who looks solidish and raises to 4k with 9k behind him. SB with 13k as well before hand calls. My move?

Let's say I decide to flat call (ugg). Flop 2-2-A? I guess I am done with hand right?

I think I hate myself a little bit.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Two TT Hands (Am I a donkey?)

1. Push, he's got a pretty wide range, you're ahead of it.

2. Er.. i'm probably pushing here too, but his raise is a little bit scary. Flat calling i think would only be good for a stop and go... which might be an option.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:33 PM

I'm not sure how valuable you'll find any advice i give, but frankly im replying as much to help myself, TT can be pretty tricky hand.

Situation 1- I would have to ask if he held kk or aa would he want to risk just winning blinds when he desperately needs a double up? I'd be more convinced he had a premium pair by a mini raise, but its still possible. Against a range of hands from QQ-66 Aks-A10s Ako-A10o you have almost 59% equity vs 41% therefore an easy call. But he is a shortstack and his range could easily be less. If you throw in AA KK your 54%. But honestly there should be some discounting for AA and KK. Since your tournament life isn't on the line. I think its an easy call.

Situation 2- here i think TT isnt strong enuff against 2 hands. Calling is horrible. If your raising it really needs to be a push with these stack sizes. I dont know but theres no shame in sitting this one out and waiting for another spot. If your facing an overpair and over cards your 18%,
underpair and overcards 45% which is pretty good 3 ways, and if both have overcards about 45% as well. The more i think about this the tougher decision this seems to be, i'd love to see what others have to say. Knowing myself i'd probably just push it Pf and cross my fingers there isn't JJ or better out there. I don't think my push would have much fold equity either here to make it 2 way.

PS- I play ridiculously low stakes tourneys and have only been playing a year FWIW.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the responses:

1. I folded and I think that is a mistake. Trying to figure out how big of a mistake.

2. I decided to flat call and push on any non ace or king board. I think its a reasonable line but not sure. Does the second caller make the push preflop more or less optimal?

If the stack sizes were different you can sometimes hope to have the first come over the top. But I am not sure these stack sizes are ideal for that, and if he does, are my tens dead in the water?

I asked Jason (before he was famous) and Greg (same) about a modified stop and go, where you avoid the ace, but they said it didn't make sense because you may get a hand like KQ or JJ to fold when you push on a board with an ace. Not sure how that works three handed.

Conclusion=I am a donkey.