Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-06-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Re: $109s - Q5o Hand

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, any comments on my thought process there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your thought process makes me realize that my game is still at the infant stage. Since I read and digested the "betting impetus" thread, I do play more hands in this manner. However, I sometimes chicken out and fold on the end to what is probably a bluff in many cases.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:15 PM

In my experiences bigger bets on the river aren't usually bluffs. I've called plenty of big river bets in sequences just like this and most of the time ended up facing the flush/straight or something else that beats me.

Here's a reasonable thought process for him if he has a Q: "I caught a Q on the turn but the board is kind of scary so I'll just bet the minimum. Ok I got a caller but he didn't raise so my hand is probably best. The river was a dud since he likely doesn't have a ten, so I'll make a big bet to get the most out of my big hand."

Here's a reasonable thought process for him if he has a flush/straight: "I've got them beat so I want to entice them to donate more money. Thus I'll make a small bet. Ah ha! I got a caller. He probably has a queen so he'll call a bigger bet on the river. Here goes..."

I'm not suggesting that calling is wrong. It's just that I can easily see him as having a better hand than you and still doing this betting pattern.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:06 PM

Your thought process fits the lower levels. At the 109s and up you HAVE to make this call. He had 22.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:45 PM

I really like your river call. I also really don't like the turn check/call for the reasons already mentioned. Of course, if you knew he'd bet any scary river, the check/call is a lot better.