Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 11-04-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Maniac Line Checks

$1/$2

This guy was a total maniac. Raised PF at least 75% of the time. Finger stuck on the bet/raise buttons. No stats on this site, but he had to be 80/75.

He'd raise and 3 bet with T3o/J2o PF. He could rarely find the fold button, but strangly sometimes he'd fold on the river after capping all previous streets.

Most of the table was not fighting back.

When you can't give your villian credit for anything other than 2 random cards -- how hard do you push?

Forgive the format.

Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG Calls, 3 folds, Maniac Raises, 2 folds, Hero Calls, BB Folds, UTG Calls

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero Checks, UTG Checks, Maniac Bets, Hero Raises, UTG Calls, Maniac 3-Bets, Hero Caps, UTG Folds, Maniac Calls

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero Bets, Maniac Raises, Hero Calls

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero Bets, Maniac Calls

---------------------------------------------------------

Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Fold,Hero Raises,3 Folds, Call, Maniac Calls, 2 Folds

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Maniac Bets, Hero Raises, Fold, Maniac Calls

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Maniac Checks,Hero Bets, Maniac Raises, Hero Raises, Maniac Caps, Hero Calls

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Maniac Checks,Hero Checks

----------------------------------------------------------

Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
MP4 posts a blind of $1

Preflop:
2 Folds, Hero Raises, Fold, Call, 2 Folds, SB Calls, Maniac(BB) calls

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB Bets, Maniac Raises, Hero Re-Raises, Fold, SB Calls, Maniac Caps, Hero Calls, SB Calls

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB Checks, Maniac Bets, Hero Raises, SB Folds, Maniac 3-Bets, Hero Calls.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Maniac Bets, Hero Raises, Maniac 3-Bets, Hero Caps, Maniac Calls
Old 11-04-2005, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Maniac Line Checks

Here's a thought. What we love about calling stations is that they will stick around to the end when we have a great hand and pay off. The tough thing about those guys can be that we can't scare them off so we don't push as hard on marginal hands. What I've been trying lately against maniacs is become a selective calling station. Find a good hand to play against them and let them do the betting. If they catch on, then I can get more aggressive with them with other hands. If they don't then it's still +EV for me.

Hand 1
I'll call his flop 3bet and check-call the turn

Hand 2
Call the turn raise

Hand 3
Looks great. Only vulnerable to a flopped set really. Could even cap the turn.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:45 PM

Hand 1: I don't think the pf call is great with just two others in the pot but it's not terrible since maniac is a maniac. I think the flop check-riz is good to try to bump out utg. The rest is good I think.

Hand 2: Considering villain would probably three-bet any A or K pf I think you're justified in three-betting the turn. I don't want to be check-raised on the river so I like you're check in case he does have a K.

Hand 3: looks good.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:08 PM

Hi meech i think hand #1 was slightly over played, hand #2 was grossly overplayed and hand #3 was played well. In hand #3 i may have called the flop raise and popped him on the turn to try and force the SB out but he folded on the turn so it worked out.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:18 PM

Hand 1: Don't bet the turn (check/call). Good otherwise.

Hand 2: The flop call of your raise and checkraise on the turn is ominous from someone that just bet/raises every time. He's getting tricky because he thinks he has you crushed. I just call down from the turn raise.

Hand 3: Beautiful. I might even cap the turn, but this is fine as well.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: Don't bet the turn (check/call). Good otherwise.

Hand 2: The flop call of your raise and checkraise on the turn is ominous from someone that just bet/raises every time. He's getting tricky because he thinks he has you crushed. I just call down from the turn raise.

Hand 3: Beautiful. I might even cap the turn, but this is fine as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. Although on Hand 2 I had a real hard time giving him credit for an Ace or King even with the call.

After reflecting on these hands -- it is a challenge playing against these types. It certainly adds some spice to the game but I wanted to make sure I wasn't out maniacing the maniac here.

I was going to say I'll post results later, but I got some good feedback so I'll let 'em rip.

I went 3-0 on these hands against the maniac.

Hand 1 no show, I give a 25% chance that I sucked out with the flush.

Hand 2 he showed down T9o and MHIG

Hand 3 no show, but I give a <10% chance that I sucked out again on him with the rivered 2 pair.