Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 02:27 AM

Default AKo hand

MP's stats were like 18/15 but only over ~30 hands. i have not yet seen him go to showdown. basically looks like so far he's been raising preflop, betting, and getting people to fold. my questions:

0: should i have capped preflop? (in position i like to, but often i won't cap out of position against a "good" player)
1. should i have bet the flop?
2. should i have 3-bet the turn?
3. should i have checked the river?
4. am i retarded? (the answer to this is easy)

Absolute Poker 1/2 Hold'em (5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP calls.

River: (9.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB
Old 11-03-2005, 02:36 AM

Default Re: AK oddity

Whee my first post after an extended absence from online poker. This should be fun.

0. Even out of position I would cap this, its not established that he is a solid player yet.

1. Yes.

2. At this point you're looking at either a monster or a bluff-raise. Given that you did not cap preflop he's probably more likely to think the flop missed you, so I think he would raise with hands you beat like JJ-KK, AT-AQ. The only hand I can see beating you at this point is 88, so yes I like the 3-bet.

3. I would have fired again on the river. If he raised, I'd likely call.

Man i hope i'm not too rusty.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:36 AM

0) no
1)I usually c/c and then donk turn, but this worked out well
2)yes
3)I actually really like this play. Sexy.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:38 AM

Yeah definitely cap preflop. River looks like bet/fold. If you're not comfortable folding to a river raise, either way, but I would be given the heavy action thus far.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3)I actually really like this play. Sexy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Would you still like it if it was checked through? I'm not sure...
Old 11-03-2005, 02:43 AM

the Q is the only river i am checking. i will bet if any other card in the deck falls.

he obviously has an ace after he calls my turn 3-bet. he has AK, AQ, or maybe AJ. AQ is more likely than AJ because of his preflop 3-bet. so now that the worst card ever falls on the river, i check call because i hope he has AK. if he has AQ, he's going to raise (and i will want to call). if he has AK, there's no value in a bet anyway. if he has AJ, he still may value bet anyway.

if someone wanted to do some math, we could figure out how often he needs to have AJ (and not bet the river) compared to having AQ/AK here for a bet to be correct. i bet the number would seem unrealistic.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:43 AM

What was your goal in betting the flop? Were you trying to go with a b/c, b/3b line? b/c, c/r? b/3b, b? That's a more interesting question than just if you should bet the flop. If you c/r the flop and bet the turn, I think you're loosing bets from a PP that might call you down if you bet, and you might shutdown a weaker A too early. A c/c, c/r line is similar. I think that betting out is correct.

Man, that's a hideous river. My gut said bet/fold, but I'm not so sure. On the off chance he has AJs, he's almost certainly betting if checked to, given his aggressive slowplay. He's also certain to call with it. I don't think there are any hands he can have here that will call if you bet, but check behind if you call. I think one bet is going in on this street no matter what. Given that, I want to see a showdown rather than bet/folding. I like your play.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:44 AM

Default Re: AKo hand

0. doesnt' mteter
1. meh.
2. yes!
3. meh.
4. hnto as retarded mas i was 2.5 hotrs ago;.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:45 AM

Welcome back, Kaishin!

And no, I don't cap preflop, and yes, I definitely 3bet this turn.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the Q is the only river i am checking. i will bet if any other card in the deck falls.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point there. Also there is not a great chance of it being checked through given the previous play.

Man I am rusty...