Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 12:45 AM

Default Thriller

Live 20/40. Some of us are playing overs to 40/80, but my opponents here aren't, so that's not really relevant in this hand. UTG+1 open-raises. HJ calls. I call in the BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. This is the second hand I've played in the half hour or so I've been at the table and the first one wasn't eventful. I don't know the opponents too well, but they seem to play relatively straightforwardly and are definitely less aggressive than online players. They are used to playing against people who play the same way.

Flop is K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I check, pfr bets and we both call. Everything good so far?

Turn is T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. What's my plan?
Old 11-01-2005, 12:55 AM

Default Re: Thriller

i mean, at the risk of being captain obvoius: check call.

Barron
Old 11-01-2005, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

It needed to be said.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:05 AM

With such a bare board, if you wanted to push the draw I think you needed to checkraise the flop/lead the turn. But if these are typical kinda tight, not aggressive enough, don't fold enough live mid limit players, then I probably don't bother and just check-call until either I hit or the pot odds aren't there. If it was headsup that would be different.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I actually did. But I was trying to figure out later if I buy the pot often enough to justify betting the turn. HJ very likely has a pocket pair and he's very likely gone if I bet here, so it's just a question of if I get EP to fold QQ, JJ or whatever often enough to make up for the extra bet I lose when he has KK/ TT and I get raised. It looks at least close depending on how good I am at reading when firing the last barrel on the river will succeed and when to give up.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:04 AM

Will he not raise AK or KQ here too? If I had either of those I probably would put you on a draw when you donkbet and raise your shifty move. Boy, you'd be sorry then. Big time.

Just check-call.

Oh, and what does "playing overs" mean?
Old 11-01-2005, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Will he not raise AK or KQ here too?

[/ QUOTE ]
I doubt he would have raised preflop with KQ. Maybe suited. If he will raise AK here on the turn, then anything other than check/calling on my part is clearly very wrong. But this isn't Party Poker and my default assumption is that AK probably isn't raising here. But of course it is possible.

[ QUOTE ]
Just check-call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, that's fine. This was just a checkup. Everyone likes a check-call. Cool.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and what does "playing overs" mean?

[/ QUOTE ]
We've got these things called overs button. They are big yellow buttons that say "Over" on them and anyone in the game can take one (not in the middle of a hand, obviously). If any postflop betting round starts with only players with overs buttons, then that round is played "in overs", meaning at higher than normal stakes. We used to always do 30/60 overs in this game, but recently it's been 40/80. So if only people with overs button make it to the river, the river is an $80 street. If anyone without overs makes it, it's a $40 street as usual. If only people with overs see the flop, it's a $40 round and the turn and river are $80 rounds. Etc.

I want to start posting some hands from the game where overs buttons come into play because they aren't discussed in poker literature at all (as far as I know) and they create interesting situations. Obviously, they affect your thinking about implied odds/ reverse implied odds. But there are also times when you raise a hand you otherwise wouldn't because you want to knock out the player without overs so you take the next street in overs. There are other times when the only non-overs player(s) have seen this street but have folded before it's your chance to act, so you might slowplay where you normally wouldn't since you are now guaranteed that the next street is in overs. And so forth. Good times.

Here's a hand I posted recently where they came into play. This was when we were doing 30/60 overs.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:16 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Why not bet the flop?

b
Old 11-01-2005, 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not bet the flop?

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting a king high flop w/this hand v.s a UTG+1 raise in the muck 20 game seems like spew against the majority of players... they either have a king, or JJ+ that they aren't going to lay down anyway...(well, maybe Chuck will fold queens here)
Old 11-01-2005, 05:13 AM

Is flop peel really correct? You have a gutshot and backdoor draws and little else.