Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Bush to nominate Alito to replace O\'Connor

Ah, this actually fits in with what I had said previously in the Miers withdrawl thread. This should be interesting.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:55 PM

To pile on to what you have been saying, Lindsay Graham has already come out on record saying the nomination is not grounds for a filibuster per the agreement betweeen the "Gang of 14". In other words, if the Democrats really try to dig in on this one, there is a very real chance of the nuclear option being used. This is so awesome, Im finally excited about politics again! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

PS I was very much in agreement with Cyrus over this..when he and I agree on something, you need to take it seriously [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Let the bloodletting begin...

[ QUOTE ]
This is going to be awesome. Kind of reminds me of Michael Corleone talking with Clemenza before he goes after Sollozo and McCluskey.

[/ QUOTE ]

Michael, youse wahn eye shud get da mattresses outta storage?
Youse gunna be makin' a big batch'a marinara?

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2005, 02:01 PM

Vulture,

Is Graham the "mouth" for the "14?" Was he accompanied by any Dems when he said that? I hope this isn't a case of him speaking his mind and maybe pissing off the other guys.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is going to be awesome. Kind of reminds me of Michael Corleone talking with Clemenza before he goes after Sollozo and McCluskey.

The benches are going to clear...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Andrew Sullivan.:

"The glee with which the partisan right and left will now posture, the money that will be spent, the energies that will be expended - it's not a very edifying spectacle for the Supreme Court. I know it's just where we are, but could we have a little less Beltway glee about it? Conservatives who live for ideological battle, whose main disappointment with Roberts was that he didn't set the stage for a big ol' left-right fight, are not conservative in any meaningful sense. They're ideologues and fanatics. Same goes, of course, for the reflexive hostility on the left. Oh well. Here we go.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The glee with which the partisan right and left will now posture, the money that will be spent, the energies that will be expended - it's not a very edifying spectacle for the Supreme Court. I know it's just where we are, but could we have a little less Beltway glee about it? Conservatives who live for ideological battle, whose main disappointment with Roberts was that he didn't set the stage for a big ol' left-right fight, are not conservative in any meaningful sense. They're ideologues and fanatics. Same goes, of course, for the reflexive hostility on the left. Oh well. Here we go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Elliot, can I have your permission to print this and put it up on my wall?

"I'm luv-vin' it."

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Vulture,

Is Graham the "mouth" for the "14?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to my knowledge.

[ QUOTE ]
Was he accompanied by any Dems when he said that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think so.

[ QUOTE ]
I hope this isn't a case of him speaking his mind and maybe pissing off the other guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was a warning shot from Graham, intended to piss off the other guys, or at least serve notice that he wasnt playing ball on this one.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:42 PM

On a serious note...

I think it is a good idea. Alito has a clear track record with court opinions for the last 15 years including some real controversial ones. He will move the court to the right which means that the Dems will have to either put up or shut up rather than the grand standing that happened with Roberts.

The only reason to oppose Alito would be on ideological grounds. This is just swinging the court back from the Ginsburg nomination.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it was a warning shot from Graham, intended to piss off the other guys, or at least serve notice that he wasnt playing ball on this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting thought. Personally, I hope the "14" don't break up. I like the idea of some of our elected getting in the middle of things. I see it as hope they are capable of sitting down and actually finding a way to settle their differences. Like those "old white guys" did 200+ years ago.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:52 PM

I love this nomination for 2 reasons.

First as a conservative I'm very happy with the pick. With him Scalia, Thomas, and Roberts there will now be solid conservative block. How old is Sutter and Ginsberg? Perhaps the 700 club guy can do some more praying.

Secondly I am so happy that we can now have a good and nasty political fight. This should make for awesome TV and I love it. Go Go Filibuster and then Nuclear option.