Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 10-26-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Re: How do you feel about the programming on ESPN?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
PTI (always), Around the Horn is still good

[/ QUOTE ]

if you think this, i cant take youre tv opinion seriously. these shows are awful and are a total waste of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think "your" is spelled "youre" I can't take your opinion seriously. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

(See, because there's no apostrophe, you have the excuse that maybe it's a typo, since R and E are next to each other.)

EDIT: Mariotti's next thoughtful, non-knee-jerk, unconventional, non-superficial observation will be his first.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:49 PM

oops. typo.

any discussion show where people just yell at each other for 20 minutes is crap. kind of like those stupid foxnews shows. i prefer more of a mcneil lehrer approach. i watch mike and the mad dog fairly regularly, they are very good IMO. theyre pretty old school and should catch up on what people have been studying in terms of baseball statstics but they are not in the joe morgan school of thought at all.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:10 PM

Right, but I would argue PTI has a fair amount of pretty sophisticated sports commentary. Wilbon and Kornheiser were both respected journalists before they got TV deals.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:14 AM

You touched on some of the flaws of sportcenter, but ill go a bit deeper. They are trying to make sport center just like local news. The local news are 5 minutes actual news, 5 minutes of commercials and 20 minutes some BS story about some kid that has a disease that is 1 in a million and about how hard he is fighting to make it, yet they rarely if ever put an address to donate money or something. So their story accomplishes nothing except makes you say, "man good thing I dont have rectal cancer." Thats the way sportscenter is going. Out of an hour usually 20 minutes is actual news. 30 go to some sad story of the day of some kid who used to play sports that now has some 1 in a million disease and no number to donate or nothing so they accomplish nothing, the last 10 minutes go to commercials.

Also Max Rules, Realli Blows and its not even close, but ATH is still watchable. I still dont understand why ESPN doesnt just put Max as the host again, he is on their payroll, I mean he has a radio show with ESPN.

Also PTI rules all, its keeping the network watchable.

Stump the Schawb was decent sports trivia is always fun.

Itd do anything which was a fear factor knockoff that was kind of cool, a bull almost killed a guy on the first episode. That show was watchable.

Also Rome is Burning is watchable as well.

Everything else has been terrible.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mariotti is TV gold.

[/ QUOTE ]

what. the. [censored].
Old 10-27-2005, 01:18 AM

Mariotti sucks. Even his radio show in Chicago only lasted 2 weeks.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also Rome is Burning is watchable as well.

[/ QUOTE ] Jim Rome hasn't been listenable or watchable since about 1994.

I always liked PTI. I only can watch ATH if certain writers are on. If Mariotti is there or on PTI I instantly turn it off. If Bob Ryan is there I am listening.

I hardly even watch Sportscenter anymore. There is no reason. I used to watch every repeat. Now I can't sit through one show.

You can blame hockey for the reality shows. During the lockout they found they could get higher ratings for all of that crap then they could for a hockey game.

I like Mike and the Maddog a lot. And I really despise every New York sports team.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:27 AM

Re: Stump the Schwab, they've been casting for season 3 and should be back shortly.

I agree the ESPN "reality game shows", Beg Borrow and Deal (1+2), I'll Do Anything, and all the Dream Job shows left much to be desired (where art thou Dave Holmes).

There are some good EOE produced shows, the problem is they bury the shows. Timeless is a well produced, interesting show on sports that ESPN wouldn't even bother with. Of course they air the show once at 11:30am Saturdays spring/summer.

Bound for Glory was shopped around to many high schools around the country with the idea that Butkus would be their "coach" (he attended high school in Chicago). Not a great idea for the Montour Spartans, they go 1-8 and Butkus left after the 7th game as his contract ran out, although he made a token apperance in their season finale.

Screamin' A. Smith doesn't need an hour-long show or 30 minute "after show". This opinion seems to be shared by the viewers. According to this article (bottom of page), ESPN2 got a .3 with billiards/poker/table tennis/etc. QF, with all the promotion the ESPN machine can muster, gets a .2

If you think ESPN programming is bad, ESPN Classic has really gone downhill the past year. Who wants to watch a low-rent Sportscenter (Classic Now), terrible HBO series watered down by censors (Arli$$), and too much of the same thing (Tyson/Ali weekends). I do enjoy Cheap Seats however, much more when it was an hour instead of the rushed 30 minutes it is now.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:56 AM

Rome is Burning away my brain cells. That guy I agree is totally unwatchable. He has the [censored] Blind Date Host on there talking about Barry Zitos Arm?!?!?
Old 10-27-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
PTI (always), Around the Horn is still good

[/ QUOTE ]

if you think this, i cant take youre tv opinion seriously. these shows are awful and are a total waste of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

As Larry King once said about PTI, "This is the best show on television".

Kornheisher and Wilbon are one of the best combos of sports personalities. Just for all the quirks and stuff they call each other out on. Them arguing IS the show. It what makes it so fun to watch to see them try to crack on each other. "Yanks and da soxs!" , "Tom Brady is as good as Montana" "My boy, Donnavan F. Mcnabb". You got a 50+ NY'er jewish man and a old school Midwestern chicago black man yelling at each other with heads on sticks, good cop/bad cop, and they get about everyone in the sports business to come on the show.

Still one of my favorite weekly tivo recordings.