Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 11:35 PM

Default 109: AK flop play

We're still early in level 1, but my sense is that MP2 is not very good at the poker. I haven't picked up anything on the BB.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB (t870)
UTG (t1340)
Hero (t1000)
UTG+2 (t1045)
MP1 (t960)
MP2 (t880)
MP3 (t1010)
CO (t910)
Button (t880)
SB (t1105)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t55</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t95</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls t80, Hero calls t40.

Flop: (t292.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t200</font>, Hero...
Old 10-23-2005, 11:47 PM

Default Re: 109: AK flop play

Well that sucks. I just wrote out a response if BB is the reraiser pf and he's not. Arg.

As it stands I think I just muck here. I know it really sucks to do that, but what is this BB betting? Unless he is horrendous he has you beat. Add to this the fact that there's still a very real chance MP has you beat or tied and it's way too hard and expensive to play this hand with what has just become a relatively weak holding. When you're ahead you likely win less than what you lose when behind as well, because you really have to put your stack in to know for sure here. I fold and don't even feel that bad about it.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well that sucks. I just wrote out a response if BB is the reraiser pf and he's not. Arg.

As it stands I think I just muck here. I know it really sucks to do that, but what is this BB betting? Unless he is horrendous he has you beat. Add to this the fact that there's still a very real chance MP has you beat or tied and it's way too hard and expensive to play this hand with what has just become a relatively weak holding. When you're ahead you likely win less than what you lose when behind as well, because you really have to put your stack in to know for sure here. I fold and don't even feel that bad about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

My name is kyro and I agree with bigt.

(I think you could also make a case for monkeypushing PF but I like calling better.)
Old 10-24-2005, 12:22 AM

i really think folding sucks here, i call down.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think BB has?
Old 10-24-2005, 01:28 AM

This is a nasty spot. I totally don't buy that BB is beating me, though. The instinct of most players would be to check if they've flopped something as monstrous as a set or top two. I think he has something like AJ, AT or JTs (and don't try telling me people won't call these to double raises, because they can and do when the actual raise amount is this low).

Nevertheless I think I'm going to fold. Shoving my stack in seems a little premature. Calling will only help if MP2 folds. If he raises allin, I've lost my 200 and might be folding a split best hand as well. If he calls, I'm going to have no idea what to do on the turn.

We're left with fold by a process of elimination. Often in these 3-way piggy in the middle situations, it's best to write the whole thing off as a bad experience and move on.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think BB has?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm unsure as to the move here, but I don't think it's a clear fold.

How many players come out betting for 2/3 pot after they've flopped a monster with AA/QQ/AQ? Don't they want to allow MP2 to CB, to allow AK (even AJ) to continue to pay them off, etc.?

I'm not completely ruling out the possibility of someone playing that hand range this way. But it could also be a donk-ish AJ/AT "figuring out where hes at."

I suppose I should just say that I don't know, because I don't play these stakes. I know that in a 22, my money is getting in here everytime (probably by just calling the flop, then calling/pushing the turn to allow AJ- to stay in the hand). Readless, this is just tough =/.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:39 AM

There are very few players at the $109s (I'm assuming. I've only played 50 there or so) that will still be in that hand given the action PF with AT/AJ. I think you'll see AQ/QQ/99 here very often, as well as AK. I don't think you'll see much that we beat.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:52 AM

I fold here, pretty quickly.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:56 AM

Wow Im surprised how many people want to fold this...